[LGM] Notes from the LGM2014 decision meeting, Saturday at 16.00 UTC

Gregory Pittman gpittman at iglou.com
Sun May 12 05:20:36 PDT 2013

On 05/12/2013 02:11 AM, Femke Snelting wrote:
> Yesterday we held an IRC meeting to prepare a decision for the venue
> of LGM2014. Most people with voting rights for this year, were
> present. We decided that we would not try to come to a conclusive
> decision right there in order to give venue promoters a chance to
> respond to questions, and participants in the meeting time to discuss
> with their own networks. We agreed that it was important to create as
> much platform for our decision as possible.
>
> Three proposals were discussed:
>
> Montreal http://libregraphicsmeeting.org/lgm/?page_id=158
> Medellin http://libregraphicsmeeting.org/lgm/?page_id=154
> Leipzig
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1eGA-Fb-b2v3IRVNZ52L6_PPyqk_DPbaDCTYK4mjW8HQ
>
> After going through each venue we concluded that "we have 2 viable
> locations: Leipzig and Montreal. The chief negatives are 1) do we have
> 3 LGMs in a row in the EU? or 2) do we have yet another LGM in
> Montreal?" (thank you Gregory Pittmann ;-)).
>
> Participants in the meeting showed interest in holding an LGM in Latin
> America, but since the Medellin promoter was not present at the
> meeting, many important questions remain to be answered at this point.
>
> Next meeting is scheduled for Wednesday May 15 at 16.00 UTC - this
> meeting should lead to a decision.
>
> Notes from the meeting at: http://titanpad.com/ajsOqb9Wpu
I would add that this was a friendly meeting, and we appreciated the
input from all who were able to attend on #lgm. Since we all recognized
that there are key elements which must be included in a proposal, I
think we can say that there is now something of a template to show what
is needed in future proposals -- see the above links as examples. At the
moment, the Leipzig and Montreal proposals demonstrate all the necessary
basic elements, and we'll see if further information is coming for the
Medellin proposal.

Greg