[LGM] [CREATE] Code of Conduct

Andrew Chadwick a.t.chadwick at gmail.com
Sat Jan 18 15:12:05 PST 2014

On 17 January 2014 22:04, Louis Desjardins <louis.desjardins at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2014/1/16 Gregory Pittman <gpittman at iglou.com>
>> ******* Proposed LGM COC ********************
>> [...]
>
> Thanks Greg for this edited version!
>
> To everyone: Does the proposed LGM CoC meet our expectations?
>
> What I see here is something easy to understand, concise, to the point.
>
> Without the idea of rushing anyone, may I ask if someone feels he or she
> didn’t have time to express an opinion, share a thought or bring up an
> argument we’d need to consider?
>
> Is it too early or are we ready for a vote?

It's a good statement of intent, and as such it has my tentative
approval as an initial draft. I think it would needs to go further
about con organiser responses as it evolves.

The PyCon UK CoC (http://pyconuk.net/CodeOfConduct, full text below)
does that very well, and it's about the tersest one with teeth that
I've seen. I like the brevity and the "we trust" of its opening
'spirit' paragraphs. I like its reassurances to complainants in the
third para (because they may otherwise not come forward, and/or may
have a dread of not being taken seriously), and I like how the bullet
point 'consequences' section enumerates specifically how it isn't
fooling around.

Anything based on it should absolutely enumerate different notions of
appropriate behaviour to fit LGM's ethos, an excellent point Susan has
raised upthread with what has to be *the* perfect example.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - ✁ - - - - - - - - - - -
Pycon UK Statement on Diversity and Conduct

Happily, PyconUK is a diverse community who maintain a reputation as a
friendly, welcoming and dynamic group.

We trust that attendees will treat each other in a way that reflects
the widely held view that diversity and friendliness are strengths of
our community to be celebrated and fostered.

In cases of inappropriate behaviour (including unsuitable language and
imagery in talks) please contact a PyconUK organiser directly and in
private. Any complaint will remain confidential, be taken seriously,
investigated, and dealt with appropriately.

PyconUK reserves the right to carry out any of the following actions
relating to a complaint:

• The person concerned may be told to stop/modify their behaviour
appropriately and a warning will be issued.
• The person concerned may be warned that enforcement action may be
taken if the behaviour continues.
• The person concerned may be asked to leave the venue immediately
and/or will be prohibited from continuing to attend PyconUK (without
reimbursement).
• The incident may be reported to the Police.

(This document is released under a creative commons license[1].)

[1] http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/