[LGM] Proposal to Host LGM 2015

Jehan Pagès jehan.marmottard at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 16:46:59 PDT 2014

Hi,

On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 8:12 AM, Alexandre Prokoudine
<alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 23, 2014 at 10:54 PM, Hor Sophanna wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> The Cambodian team would like to send this proposal for LGM 2015 in Phnom
>> Penh. It's looks upload via the formula doesn't work signature.
>> So you can find the proposal here:
>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/zwfm3pblspskov6/LibreGraphicCambodia2015.pdf
>
> Given the estimated travel costs, the most realistic approach here, in
> my opinion, is to finally branch off and start LGM Asia.

Is there that much of an Asian community in graphics Free Software?
Having lived for 3 years in asian countries (Japan and South Korea), I
felt that there were not that many. I was for instance, if not
mistaken, the only active GIMP dev (not speaking of past dev, I
imagine there would have been) in whole Asia. And Free Software is
definitely less of a given there (though you can nowadays find by
chance Linux users in Europe for instance, finding any in Japan or
Korea is very rare).

All this to say that I am not sure that they have enough contributors
there to fork. I would have been the only one able to represent GIMP,
and I'm not even there anymore. :P

Also I definitely prefer to be able to go to the actual annual meeting
of whatever graphics software I would contribute to, not a lesser
version of it. For this reason too, I don't think this is a good idea
to fork. LGM is not big enough yet to allow this.

So I say: let's not discard any proposition please. We are already
flying quite a few people from far away places, I'm unsure this would
be such a huge difference.

Jehan