[LGM] should LGM or its site have something to say about Charlie Hebdo?

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Thu Jan 15 07:31:35 PST 2015

Hi

To elaborate, in my personal view, much of Europe there are hate speech
laws restricting free speech that offends Judeo-Christians, and I
sympathise with much of the hipocracy accusations on this topic since those
laws are enforced with state violence.

But that isn't material to LGM. What is, is that I hope to work on more
libre Arabic fonts this year and in the future, and I would like Muslim
designers to feel welcome at LGM. I don't think involvement in this issue
would help with that.

On 13 January 2015 at 22:45, Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I don't think so.
> On 13 Jan 2015 22:09, "Gregory Pittman" <gpittman at iglou.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello list,
>>
>> This issue came up among those involved in the communication team for LGM.
>>
>> In short, should we have something on the site which says either "Je
>> suis Charlie" or maybe "Nous sommes Charlie"?
>>
>> There has been differences of opinion on this, but what seemed to be
>> tacitly agreed on was that the smaller group of the communications team
>> should not unilaterally do this without some wider discussion involving
>> those who take part in LGM.
>>
>> We have traditionally been apolitical, yet maybe there is something
>> special about this incident involving free speech in the graphics and
>> publishing world.
>>
>> Greg

Cheers
Dave