[LGM] Our website translation

ginger coons ginger at adaptstudio.ca
Tue Mar 17 17:40:15 PDT 2015

> I am back with my initial question: what’s the procedure to have a
> French version of our website?

There's a list of relevant plugins here:
http://codex.wordpress.org/Multilingual_WordPress

If anyone has had any experiences with them (positive or otherwise)
maybe they can chip in their opinions?

> I see only good reasons to have it in French and if someone wants to
> step in and provide a translation in other languages as well, all the
> best.

Louis, it's very nice that you're volunteering to translate the site
into French! As with many things involved in LGM organizing, I'd love to
see a discussion about how we can sustain initiatives like a
multi-lingual website from year-to-year, rather than having each year be
ad hoc and based on the choices of the local team and whoever has the
time and passion for a particular issue.

Maybe we can have a broader discussion about how to support the
internationality of LGM, both this year and in future years.

-ginger

>     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Toronto
>     "While English is the predominant language spoken by Torontonians,
>     Statistics Canada reports that other language groups are significant,
>     including the Chinese languages (particularly Cantonese and Mandarin),
>     Italian, Punjabi, Spanish, Tagalog, Urdu, Tamil, Portuguese, Persian,
>     Arabic, Russian, Polish, Gujarati, Korean, Vietnamese, and Greek.
>     Canada's other official language, French, is spoken by 1.2% of the
>     population."
>
>     /pippin

ginger "all-lower-case" coons
adaptstudio.ca