[LGM] SpreadFlow current state and further work

Lorenz Schori lo at znerol.ch
Fri Apr 29 09:19:00 UTC 2016

Hi,

SpreadFlow is a metadata extraction and processing engine. Its main
purpose is to support file based media production workflows by
observing changes to text and media files in real-time. Information
gathered through this process can be used to transform and recombine
content, e.g., in order to prepare it for different publishing channels.

The software is currently being used in production at the Swiss weekly
newspaper "WOZ". The prepress environment is based on proprietary OS
and DTP software. SpreadFlow is free (and based on free software),
hence adapting a workflow to a different environment is as easy as
swapping out the product-specific components.

Regrettably there is zero documentation so far. My hope is to find
someone who is willing to share some production data (i.e. texts,
layouts, images) which would allow me to provide tutorials. In my
experience it is crucial for a FLOSS project to provide at least some
well commented examples so people can tinker with the software.

I've opensourced a couple of components so far. I'd like to highlight
the following (more are available on my github repo):
* SpreadFlow Core: A generic dataflow engine used to drive the
  extraction process.
  https://github.com/znerol/spreadflow-core
* SpreadFlow Filesystem Observer: The component which is used to
  monitor file changes:
  https://github.com/znerol/spreadflow-observer-fs
* SpreadFlow Filesystem Observer (OSX/Spotlight): A native version of
  the filesystem observer which ties into Spotlight. This makes it
  possible to observe changes on mounted AFP network shares on Macs.
  https://github.com/znerol/spreadflow-observer-fs-spotlight
* SpreadFlow XSLT Processor: I'm using that heavily to turn ICML/XML
  files into HTML. There is also a set of generic XSLT stylesheets
  which turn the weird ICML structure into something which is easier to
  process further (see the Short-Story repository).
  https://github.com/znerol/spreadflow-xslt
  https://github.com/znerol/Short-Story
* SpreadFlow Thumbor: Integration with thumbor image processing server.
  https://github.com/znerol/spreadflow-thumbor
* SpreadFlow Exiftool: Integration with Phil Harveys Exiftool
  https://github.com/znerol/spreadflow-exiftool
* SpreadFlow MongoDB: Stores everything into a mongodb where you can
  hook up whatever service to visualize/process the data further.
  https://github.com/znerol/spreadflow-mongodb

I'm now working towards opensourcing our meteor based web-frontend for
the tool. However, I'm currently having some difficulties to separate
company specific stuff and extract a generic version of the code base :/

Cheers,
Lorenz