[LGM] Request For Comments - reorganizing financial tasks for LGM

Louis Desjardins louis.desjardins at gmail.com
Mon May 9 16:16:20 UTC 2016

Hi all,

[Warning, long email. I hope useful. Top posting because of length.]

[Quote] Louis raises the point that there are other options to be
> discussed, such as eliminating reimbursements or charging admission or
> membership fees.
> These other options seem exceedingly undesirable. We won't ignite a
> firestorm by opening it for public comment.
> The consensus is that we will examine first options to continue funding
> reimbursements in full.
> But, if we don't have an organization in place, we will not promise
> reimbursement.

There are quite a few informations to share here, before we can actually
state whether an idea is "exceedingly undesirable" or not.

By what I read so far, it is my understanding that there is a need for
clarification.

We must discuss based on facts. Not based on opinions (that are certainly
following good faith) but that cannot help us as such. The facts can help.
Opinions will rise after we master the facts.

- Mentioning that some ideas *"seem exceedingly undesirable"* closes the
discussion.
- Should we walk away from a discussion in the fear of *"igniting a flame
war"*?
- Rather, let’s keep a stiff upper lip. :-)
- And discuss freely/openly.

Being in charge of the finances of LGM for over 10 years makes me believe
that what I have to say in this discussion has some importance.

- To me, the terms of the discussion are not clear.
- The debate is framed in misleading terms because it is based on false
statements as I explain below.
- To me, there is a need to reframe that discussion or else we’ll go
nowhere.
- At the root of it, there are assumptions that are untrue.
- For one, saying we don’t have a bank account is simply untrue.
- For two, saying we don’t have an organisation, is also untrue.
- For three, assuming the system is broken doesn’t bring much light to the
discussion. All is wrong? Part is wrong? Which part? - Can we put on a
scale how wrong wrong is and how threatening it is to the LGM?

Question 1:
Where would the reimbursement money transit from Google or Pledgie to
anyone being reimbursed if not through a bank account?

Question 2:
Where the invoice to Google and other sponsors would come from if not from
an organisation?

Asking those 2 question is answering them.

   - The choice of AQDPLL (to handle the money and make the reimbursements)
   over GNOME has been discussed and agreed years ago after we decided 11
   months delay was too long to process the reimbursements and because we
   thought it was a good idea to save 5% on admin charges.
   - Now, we can change that, of course.
   - We can create a new organisation.
   - We can do whatever we want.
   - We can try to make things better, smoother, more reliable, etc.
   - "System is broken, we need an organisation, we need a bank account..."
   - We seem to conclude before even gathering the facts!

The vast majority of the people asking for a reimbursement have been
reimbursed successfully so far and all of them will be reimbursed in the
end, despite issues with documents and short volunteer time, only to name a
few variables involved in the process. I have put together a list of
variables and issues that can arise when dealing with reimbursements in a
previous email.

*So, is our system broken?*

*Where could we improve the system?*

   - Securing the budget ahead of LGM, at the time we confirm the talks and
   even, at the end of the LGM, for the next.
   - Making sure the budget can cover 100% of the needs
   - Accelerate the reimbursement process.
   - Can we reimburse before LGM?

*The software development metaphor*
Someone coming at a developing team saying the program is broken would be
asked to identify the bugs, expose the steps to reproduce them and name
them properly, write a summary, check in the database if an issue has
already a bug # and so on. That way, people who can do something know what
the problem is.

I would invite everyone who wants to get involved in this discussion not to
penalise the process by condemning any idea on the first place without
analysis of the pros and cons related to that idea.

I think this is basic.

I have raised what I believe to be valid questions that only need to be
answered.
Asking a question is not suggesting the answer (except for my rhetoric
effect above).
If the group is too small to discuss, then we can organise a wider
consultation.

Introducing words like "flame war" in the discussion is also a way to frame
the debate into something it isn’t. It should not happen. I wonder whether
this is meant to be constructive in any way. To me, this is, at the very
least, undesirable.

If I am to be part of a discussion, I want to welcome ideas from other and
I expect the same in turn.

*My first question was about the reimbursement itself**(I strongly believe
it is at least worth we give it some thoughts, after taking notes of the
facts below)*

   - We reimburse between 15 and 20 people each year. We have over 150
   participants to LGM each year (a number that can go up dramatically in some
   LGM, and nonetheless the number of people asking for a reimbursement is
   rather stable).
   - 10-15% of the participants need (or at least ask) for financial
   support.
   - How many of these people would not make it to LGM if there was no
   financial help available?
   - In other words, how many really "need" the financial support?
   - Would there absence be a threat to LGM?
   - Arguably, a fair part of the sponsored people are speakers at LGM.
   However we have 60-80 talks at LGM. Subsequently, some (tough) questions
   arise: how many speakers at LGM are also motivated by the fact that their
   trip may be reimbursed? Who in that group would have not come if there were
   no reimbursement? What would be the effects on LGM?
   - Would there absence reduce the appeal of LGM to others, and be a
   threat to its overall quality?
   - To find out, we have to ask those people.
   - We can also ask ourselves if the absence of some people ever had a
   negative impact on LGM, whether they are helped financially or not.
   - There is no hidden intention. We only need to try to figure out the
   impact of such a decision (if we would in the end make a decision not te
   reimburse any longer).
   - Is there something wrong at trying to find out an important fact that
   could lead to a better overall understanding of the situation? I don’t
   think so. The answers matter.

*About the financing*

   1. The annual budget for reimbursements is roughly between 10-15k each
   year and so far we have succeeded to reimburse 100%.
   2. Collecting money from the corporate world is a challenge.
      - The amount we gather each year goes down significantly.
      - In 2016, that amount was *zero*.
      - In 2016, Google (our main sponsor for years) didn’t reply to our
      emails (read well, no reply at all)
      3. Collecting money from the community (Pledgie) is a challenge.
      - The amount we gather each year goes down as well. Historically it
      spanned between 4k and 12k.
      - In 2016, that amount is $1,300.00. This is by far the lowest amount
      we ever gathered through Pledgie.
      4. Making sure we have enough money to cover each year’s expense is a
   challenge.
   5. Since we cannot promise we reimburse 100%, some people make the
   decision not to come because they can’t live with the risk of not being
   reimburse, or partly reimbursed.
   6. The large corporations don’t support us, despite some efforts to get
   in touch with them.
   7. A few large Foundations support us with amounts not exceeding 1k,
   when they support us.
   8. Unfortunately, I haven’t kept track of the time it takes to fulfill
   the reimbursements but I would say that it takes from 40 minutes to a whole
   day, for each of the transaction (that includes the paper work, the
   verification process and the process itself), depending on the complexity
   of the transaction (especially, the currencies involved) and the
   compliances of the documents submitted).
   9. Plus, the accounting.

*Facts first, opinions after*

When in the full knowledge of the facts, we can answer whether it´s worth
it to spend that much energy on the reimbursement. I am sorry to insist but
really, showing the door to that thinking on the first place is not helping
us understanding much.
Our pledgie campaign has been put under stress some years because people
travelling on their own and not otherwise sponsored or even allowed for
sponsorship tried to gather their funding through the same channel. Of
course, they needed to say why they were asking for money and the name of
LGM was then associated also with those campaign. Clearly, there was no way
we could have avoided that. Those campaign were legitimate. It has happened
in the recent past and it will probably happen again in the future.

*Energy spent vs benefits to the organisation should guide us.*

We have quantitative data and qualitative data.

*One of two things:*

   1. We discover that it *would not harm LGM* if we’d quit reimbursing the
   10-15% of the participants, case is closed.
   2. On the contrary we discover that it *would harm LGM* to a point that
   the event would be much less appealing to participants, we move forward
   examining the further considerations.

- Where to find the money?
- How?
- How to make sure collecting the money can be sustainable?

*What are our sources of financing?*

   1. Our community through Pledgie
   2. Corporate sponsors (ex. Google)
   3. Non-profit organisations private (ex. FSF, PSF)
   4. Public organisation public (ex. EU, OIF)

*What could be our sources of financing in the future?*

   1. Our community through annual membership
   2. Our community through attendance fees at LGM
   3. Corporate sponsors (ex. Google)
   4. Non-profit private organisations (ex. FSF, PSF)
   5. Public organisations (ex. EU, OIF)

Our sources of financing are not under control at present time and this can
be considered a threat to LGM. The idea behind the membership and the
attendance fee is to show the good example from the start. The LGM has a
community that support it. We have so many members that pay their annual
membership. Say 200 members at $100 each, that’s already $20,000. That’s a
good start in my view. Once you are a member, you are entitled to lower
fees at the conference. If you gather another 20 or 30k at the conference,
you secure a budget of 40 to 50k every year, before you actually arrive to
LGM...

So, either we quit financing or we get organised. *The most difficult part
is to get the money in.* Not create another non-profit.

There is no relationship between the legal and banking infrastructure and
the budget. It’s the people that make the difference.

*Hence, my second question:*
Could we consider putting together an annual membership fee?
- There could be 3 (even, 4 if we include Support) categories :

   1. Students $
   2. Regular $$
   3. Support $$$
   4. Corporate $$$$

*Subsidiary question:*
Considering the sustainable benefits of a structured and predictable
budget, could we charge a reasonable and modulated attendance fee to enter
LGM, base on members and non-members?

Before making quick answers, let’s examine the pros and cons.

*Pros*
- Membership will help secure a yearly budget to a somewhat predictable
level.
- Attendance fee will contribute to raise the LGM budget to the level we
expect to cover the reimbursements.
- We can use the membership numbers to show the serious of the organisation
to other organisations
- Hypothesis: showing that our members help us secure a budget will help
raising public funds and corporate funds.

Note: Part of the funding could be used to finance local expenses such as
printing T-Shirts, renting some equipment, printing programmes, posters,
etc. The local budget is always on the shoulders of the local organisers
and that could be solved by a membership. Providing we have a preview of
that budget ahead (so we can secure it), all we need to reimburse is valid
documents. From the Canadian non-profit point of view, the invoice can be
issued in any country and reimbursed, just like a plane ticket.

*Cons*
- A membership fee might turn away some people who cannot afford the fees.
Hence the necessity to make sure the student fee (or, also, the fee we
could charge to unemployed, etc.) is reasonable.
- If so, it would be good to know why do these people don’t like the idea.
- Other cons?

*Members expectations*
Members will expect in turn that LGM offers them some benefits.
These could be (open discussion, no censorship, just some ideas):
- Reduction on attendance fee to LGM (compare with what other organisation
do)
- Automatic subscription to an LGM Magazine (maybe we can have that project
put back to life?)
- Reduction on T-Shirts and other goodies as they are available (or given
for free?)
- Members of LGM who give a talk at LGM or put together a workshop, or
actively participate to an LGM project are allowed for financial help when
they travel to LGM.
- More ideas?

I have put some numbers down in a previous email, so we can have a better
sense of the possibilities of revenues from a annual membership.

In short, these numbers show that we could in fact secure our budget to the
viable level we expect to cover our expenses from one LGM to another.

I have put them back below for quick reference.

*Administrative considerations:*
- A membership will oblige us to keep track of our members and keep track
of their yearly payment.
- This will include follow up on late payers.
- However, since we do have LGM  every year, the LGM could also be a good
time to collect the late payers.

*About the non-profit*
We already have a bank account and a non-profit that is used for that
purpose: gathering the money and reimbursing people. Putting another entity
together will displace the problem to another entity, period. Creating a
new entity will not guarantee we have more money to distribute.

So, the entity discussion comes in after.

Without an entity, we could never have access to the money of OIF. When in
Belgium, we had Constant. When in Montreal, we had AQDPLL. I was not close
to the local organisation but I believe that when in Madrid we had Prado
and we had substantial help from public money (if I am not mistaken).

What this means is, we need an entity where public money is available and
if, in that country, this entity will achieve its goal.

>From the corporate world perspective, it turns out to a simple fiscal
issue. Any company will need an invoice, so they connect the donation to an
expense and they thus pay less income tax. If an individual was to send
such invoice to a corporation, this person would have the obligation to
declare this revenue that would add up to the salary and thus make this
person pay income tax on the "donation". This of course makes absolutely no
sense for the individual, thus the necessity of the non-profit
organisation, which, like any company, can make an invoice to another one.

For Brazil, we can certainly continue using AQDPLL (or create a new one) to
gather the money and to reimburse people. However to get local public
money, we might need a local organisation. This will remain to be examined
and answered.

I hope this helps.

Happy discussion!

Louis

p.s. Below are the numbers again, just to have them handy.

*Membership fees*
For example, FSF has a membership fee that averages 169 $/year.
Multiplied by 150 people:
Annual income expected *25 350 $*.
We could imagine having more members than 150?
This membership-only budget is a bit too close to our needs and could prove
to be uncomfortable. But we can discuss that.

*Attendance fees*
Say we have 150 people that distributes as such:
- Students 30.
- Individuals 110.
- Corporate 10.

According to PYCON fees we would have gathered this year the following
budget:
   - 30 students x 125 $ = 3750 $
   - 110 individual x 350 $ = 38 500 $
   - 10 corporate x 600 $ = 6000 $
   - TOTAL : *48 250 $*

Say LGM would charge less:
   - 30 students x 75 $ = 2250 $
   - 110 individual x 250 $ = 27 500 $
   - 10 corporate x 400 $ = 4000 $
   - TOTAL : *33 750 $*

TOTAL LGM ANNUAL BUDGET : 25 350 + 33 750 =
*59 100 $*
We can evaluate as many scenarios as we want. Raising or lowering some
fees, as to establish the most viable scenario.