[LGM] Video Recording

Jehan Pagès jehan.marmottard at gmail.com
Sat Dec 2 17:48:02 UTC 2017

Hi!

On Sat, Dec 2, 2017 at 6:33 PM, Frank Trampe <frank.trampe at gmail.com> wrote:
> It's important to deliver a top-level product this year, and working with an
> outfit endorsed by multiple people in our organization seems like a good
> starting point. At the same time, we do need to be somewhat cost sensitive,
> and this might satisfy that objective too. Is it plausible that they would
> not charge for the services if we covered expenses?

I'm not sure how they worked with GNOME for the GUADEC conf, but I
think this was volunteer job, or at least I assumed so. The Chaos
Computer Club is a Free Software geek club after all. Yet I can't
speak on their behalf. Maybe that was a paid job, who knows.
Paying their expenses is the minimum in any cases.

As for quality, they were impressive to me (and I know, to many others
present). Most people agreed that the streaming service at GUADEC 2017
was better than in most event (even compared to many corporates
events).
And a last point is that they are Free Software-minded people. They
are not just a random group of video people who will edit videos with
Adobe products and don't care at all about the event they are filming
other than the fact it's a job. I would assume they actually care.

This being said, we may also find local groups of video makers. I
remember that LGM at Madrid (2012, was it?) was also very well
organized and even had very professional looking cameras and stuff
(though I don't know much how well the finale streaming and upload
service was served since at the time, I did not look closely). People
who remember this well may ask the local organizers of the time
(Medialab Prado) since it is obviously much closer to the next LGM.
Cost-wise it may of course be better. There has to be local groups of
talented video makers, and probably even people who use/create Free
Software to do videos.

Jehan