[LGM] ATTN ALL: Call for 2018 venue...

Øyvind Kolås pippin at gimp.org
Fri Jun 30 13:34:44 UTC 2017

On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 3:15 PM, Frank Trampe <frank.trampe at gmail.com> wrote:
> I hope that I'm proven wrong, but I think that we're unlikely to exceed 80
> people per session given our current state of organization, and it's
> embarrassing to have too oversized a venue. Big venues are also less cozy.

The level of attendance in Rio was a sad anomaly, due to lack of
global and local coordination and thus inability to keep a schedule
resulting in a timely program online. In my opinion in particular due
to GNUgraf, the Brazilian LGM-like event, not acting as a local LGM
team - but running their GNUgraf event as a directly competing
conference with ha separate schedule and no real attempt at briding
with the international visitors apart from during coffee breaks, thus
significantly dimnishing participation in LGM by brazilians - a
country where we could have hoped to both meet and be joined by a
strong local Libre Graphics community. I hope this will be avoided for
2018 by being back in Europe where we have hundreds of regular
attendees as well as having instantiated regular IRC meetings for
checking on progress and encouraging auto-delegation of tasks well in
advance of the event.

/pippin