[LGM] finances

Jehan Pagès jehan.marmottard at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 19:41:55 UTC 2017

Hi!

On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 8:35 PM, Louis Desjardins
<louis.desjardins at gmail.com> wrote:

>> I have a few to add.
>>
>> Aside from VAT, would K8 take the necessary steps to ensure that the tax
>> treatment of the reimbursements (particularly across national boundaries)
>> doesn't result in withholdings on the reimbursements when they are
>> expensible by recipients? Is there a way to avoid imputing taxable income to
>> people lacking a business rationale for their attendance at the conference?
>

> Hi Frank,
>
> Can I ask why you keep asking about the tax issues? We never ever had an
> issue with this since year 1 of LGM.
>
> Is there something I don’t understand?

I agree with Louis. I don't know how it is in the US, so if the chosen
entity is based in the US, maybe there are taxes. In this case, I
missed this.
In France for instance, donations received are tax-free when you are a
non-profit. And reimbursing flights or other expenses are not taxed as
well. So there is no taxes involved in the whole process of receiving
sponsorship then using it to reimburse participants (note well that
this is "when you are a registered non-profit").

Incomes are still taxed of course, even when we are dealing with
non-profits, but expense reimbursements are not incomes.

Jehan

> Louis
>

>> Does K8 support this year's event such that some portion of the 15% fee
>> might actually go towards it? In that case, it might not be as big a loss as
>> it seems.
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 12:47 PM, Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I spoke with Soenke :) Some questions for him/me/us to answer :)
>>>
>>> 1. SZ: What is the effect for K8 if the deal is a sponsorship, not a
>>> donation?
>>>
>>> 1b. DC: A sponsorship draft agreement should be shared fro Dave to review
>>> what the obligations on K8, and for the LGM, will be. I'll try to do that in
>>> the next few days :)
>>>
>>> 1c. SZ: Will K8 be able to provide video recording of the event and
>>> publication within a reasonable timeframe?
>>>
>>> 2. SZ: If the money is coming from outside the EU, will VAT be due
>>> (hopefully no)?
>>>
>>> 2b. SZ: Can K8 provide a W8BEN form
>>> (https://www.google.com/search?q=w8+ben)?
>>>
>>> 3. SZ: What if someone from the LGM community wants to adminster the
>>> funds; could K8 reduce or share the 15% with them?
>>>
>>> 4. LGM: How would LGM want to set up the bursary?
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Dave

ZeMarmot open animation film
http://film.zemarmot.net