[LGM] Identifying the topic of the messages (WAS: LGM Committees and Point People)

Neil C Smith neilcsmith.net at googlemail.com
Wed May 2 12:58:58 UTC 2018

On Wed, 2 May 2018 at 09:01 ale rimoldi <ale at graphicslab.org> wrote:

> i have the feeling that email subjects have been
> created for that.
> - to put meaningful subjects in their messages,
> normally, this is not a high traffic list where it is worth to setup
> some sort of automatic filtering based on tags and i'm not sure if
> tagging will provide any benefit over good subjects

Yes, this idea was not to remove the need for a good subject line! :-)
It's just intended as a quick and easy way to ping select sub-groups /
committees that a particular thread requires their attention while keeping
everything on one list - eg. for attention of.  This list may not be heavy
traffic, but I'm sure this is not the only list we're all on!  It's a quick
way for members of any particular committee to prioritise things that may
need to actively respond to -eg. if I'm joining infra then I can filter LGM
messages into a mailing list folder as now, unless they have [infra] in the
subject.

People who avoid picking the right tag will just get a slower / no response
- it's usefully self-correcting!

on the other side, i can understand why somebody would want to send
> emails with the email address finance at libregraphicsmeeting.org and get
> the answers delivered to the whole finance group (well, the whole lgm
> list... but that's by design...).

Should probably be able to add the tags as part of the forward too?
Although what does the list software do with forwards from non-subscribed
addresses?

have a funny day

+1! :-)

Best wishes,