[LGM] Libre Graphics Meeting Fundraising Partnership

Frank Trampe frank.trampe at gmail.com
Fri May 11 21:42:32 UTC 2018

Hi, Martin.

We'll await further feedback from your board, but, to answer the one
question directed at me, our current arrangement is very decentralized. We
have a global fundraising committee, and for a while a Canadian non-profit
accepted donations and processed travel reimbursements, but most of the
actual administrative and finance work is done by the local hosting team.
This year and next year, a German non-profit, K8 (affiliated with our 2019
hosting committee), is accepting and disbursing funds for us.

This arrangement has worked rather well so far, and, given what you've
said, we might inquire about extending our relationship with K8 past 2019.
The one remaining gap, though, is 501(c)3 status for soliciting donations
from businesses domiciled in the United States. This invites another
question, I guess. Would it be possible for SPI to collect donations and
then to transfer the money raised to a European non-profit? If so, what
sort of fees would that incur?