[LGM] [local_2020] LGM 2020 - Sri Lanka

Pathum Egodawatta pathum at mooniak.com
Tue May 29 14:34:07 UTC 2018

Hi Igor,

Thanks for the response! You should definitely make it into a nice holiday!
We can appoint someone from local team to help and advice on extended stays
and prepare some suggestions; I added a few lines to the proposal
<https://hackmd.io/m4nzIvaPTpmWB-LT64GJSA?view#Tourism-and-holidays>.

Yes I agree that Galle <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galle> is cool, but
it is not fit for the main event. We will loose some of local participation
and also the support from Moratuwa Uni infrastructure and the departments;
University of Moratuwa has Computer Science, Software Engineering,
Architecture, Interior Design, Fashion and Textile Design programmes which
makes it perfect for LGM and assure good participation.

However, I think pre-conference or post conference hackathons in Down South
beach front sounds awesome :)  Galle is two hours away from Colombo on
expressway, even in high traffic times and is fairly easy to get to
<https://www.yamu.lk/blog/galle-how-to-get-there>. By 2020 a some parts of
the expressway to North (Jaffna <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaffna>) and
Central SL (Kandy <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kandy>) will be completed
and would be much easier to get around.

Cheers,
pe

On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 7:01 AM Igor Novikov <sk1.project.org at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Wow, really great! But it would be cool to have Southern Province as a
> conference place (Galle etc.) but not Colombo.
> This could be a chance for nice vacation ;)
>
> Igor Novikov
> sK1 Project
> https://sk1project.net
>
> пн, 28 мая 2018 г. в 18:46, Julien Deswaef <juego at requiem4tv.com>:
>
>> Wow, great. Thanks for putting together this proposition.
>>
>> Julein
>>
>> On 5/27/18 10:16, Pathum Egodawatta wrote:
>>
>> Hi all!
>>
>> This is a proposal to host LGM 2020 in Colombo, Sri Lanka. I have
>> attached a PDF and live hackmd pad is here
>> <https://hackmd.io/m4nzIvaPTpmWB-LT64GJSA?view>. We are in the process
>> of organising the local team. Since this would be a departure from usual
>> regions of the conference we would like to get comments at this stage.
>>
>> Cheers from stormy and rainy Colombo,
>> Pathum
>> --
>>
>> ෴ ජය! ෴