[LGM] AI

Soenke Zehle soenke at kein.org
Wed Jun 5 07:38:39 UTC 2019

Hi all,

while many of you think that ai is not even a science (true), we are
still interested in devs like

https://github.com/TheFoundryVisionmongers/nuke-ML-server

and are now looking for people esp. from blender, but also other
platforms, that would be interested in a sandboxing project around
integrating open source ai in image editing processes. Not entirely
sure what that entails but we'll see as we go. If nothing else it
might be a way to cut through the ai hype. At the same time - if adobe
sensei ends up shifting terrain for image editing, and users
expectations of what image editing actually is, it can't hurt to be
able to point to open alternatives.

Context is that at lgm some of the people working at arts academies
got together (this was in addition to ginger's mtg, which I
unfortunately missed) to cooperate in a cross-organizational working
group on open tech to push for the use of foss in our research and
education. and yes we now that this is not new and that others have
been doing this  (88 columns), but onboarding new new people might
push ecosystem boundaries a bit.

So if you think ai and open tech go together let us know to share, get
a better sense of this emerging space, etc.

best,

Soenke