[LGM] LGM 2019 - Funding, and the future of LGM

ale rimoldi ale at graphicslab.org
Thu May 2 15:02:23 UTC 2019

hi greg

> We can hope to resolve the particular issue with Google soon.
>
> In a larger and more ongoing way, this may be a topic worthy of
> discussion at LGM this year. Realistically, LGM is a collaboration of
> unequals. We tacitly have a simple list of projects that are part of
> the organization, but some seem to have more say than others, partly
> based on the numbers of contributors they have, and partly related to
> the projects' financial resources. We should have some acknowledged
> answer to the question - if Gimp contributes financially to LGM, do
> they get whatever they want?

well, in this case i have the feeling that Gimp had an agreement with
the local organizers, which was forgotten and then "shadowed" by a later
agreement with google.
without that agreement, my position would have been that i
mostly agree with pippin's concerns but it is too late now for
changing / setting up new rules.
but they were first. the lgm already had an agreement with gimp and we
should try to respect it.

of course, gimp could have told us more clearly what the real goal of
their sponsoring was (at least to me, it was not that clear that they
had the goal of keeping our "display window" clean).

but by stating that "Gimp get whatever they want" you're imo turning the
issue upside down.
it's google that was trying to get what they want: a very high
visibility for their sponsoring.
and gimp already had an agreement with us that gives them the "right"
to tell us, that they do not agree with it.

> There was some significant effort put into creating a Code of
> Conduct, but it seems maybe there should be some effort put into
> generating a "Rules of Sponsorship" for LGM. For example, should we
> say that all contributions from corporate sponsors must be
> unrestricted as to use and with limits on the advertisement of this
> sponsorship? I think there is general agreement that we have never
> wanted to commercialize LGM. If we have rules for corporate sponsors,
> should at least some of these apply to noncorporate sponsors as well?
>
> Creating some rules or guidelines could be problematic in terms of
> getting donations, though it might help to avoid confusion about
> these issues in the future.

i can only 100% agree with that.

without having seen your post, i just created:

https://libregraphicsmeeting.org/lgm/public-documentation/rules-for-sponsoring/

IMO, we need to fill that page before the next LGM happens...

i also remind you (all) that we need to discuss

https://libregraphicsmeeting.org/lgm/public-documentation/local-organizers-requirements/

ciao
a.l.e