[Libreoffice-qa] Test mail Cleaning up posting headings.

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at novell.com
Mon Aug 22 04:54:15 PDT 2011

On Mon, 2011-08-22 at 12:31 +0100, Michael Meeks wrote:
> 	Please do not screw up your list ...

	So - some more reasoned rational: :-) I wrote this about the 'design'
list - which also suffers this problem, and we have the
libreoffice-ux-advise list to work around this problem:

[snip]
        If that is not enough you'll need to interact on the design
list, which ironically (as mentioned) has a rather non-simple,
non-ergonomic process in order to have a conversation / thread with; it
goes like this:

        * subscribe by sending a blank mail to
          design+subscribe at global.libreoffice.org
                + if you are not subscribed you will get no reliable
                  replies to mail you send.
        * wait for the confirmation mail, act on that.
        Z. wait for confirmation that you are subscribed
        * now post your request to design at libreoffice.org
        * wait for a reply, while manually deleting other design list
          mail that you're not interested in, and/or filtering it away.
        * when you've got 'enough' replies, un-subscribe from the
          design list - using the scheme they advertised in step Z.

        :-) just a pet hobby horse of mine - many people believe the
above is an amazing, community building feature; personally I prefer a
non-reply-to mangling list - here the process is rather simpler:

        * send mail to the list - all replies and associated thread
          come directly to you.
                + occasionally someone new forgets to reply-to-all and
                  gets gently corrected :-)
        * no subscription / delay / further steps / filtering /
          complexity necessary.

[/snip]

	Of course, there is some debate about this eg.

	http://woozle.org/~neale/papers/reply-to-still-harmful.html

	and there are diverse views; IIRC the Apache related guys advising the
original OO.o creation mandated reply-to mangling as a "community
building" tool ;-) IMHO it didn't prove a great success there either.

	ATB,

		Michael.