[Libreoffice-qa] [Libreoffice] Naming builds. Please???

Andras Timar timar74 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 04:44:55 PST 2011

Hi Pedro

2011/12/3 Pedro Lino <pedlino at gmail.com>:
> Hi Andras
>
> Thank you for your quick and enlightening reply!
>
>> LibreOffice 3.5 will not unpack anything to desktop. But we can't
>> change the past... :)
>
> Fair enough :)
>
>> You can check what's included and what's not, when you visit
>> for example http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/log/?qt=range&q=4f11d0a
>> Those magic numbers in About box are git commit IDs.
>
> Aha! I knew they meant something :) But that was the first block of
> characters from the About box. How do I know if that version is the
> same as e.g. master~2011-12-02_22.36.35_libodev35.exe???

We have 5 repositories now: core, binfilter, dictionaries, help, and
translations. Therefore there are 5 git commit IDs in the About box
separated by dashes. These are good identifiers of the build, at least
these uniquely identify the source code that the build was made from.
Of course the outcome of build  process depends on the configure
switches, too. Maybe we should hack something in like
about:buildconfig in Firefox.

When you see the full build log of
master~2011-12-02_22.36.35_libodev35.exe, you will see the git commit
IDs there, but I agree that it is hard to find.

>> It is not possible to bump a build number each time a build is
>> produced, because many people produce builds, not only one central
>> build server.
>
> Yes. That makes sense. But build or sub-build is bumped each there is
> a new commit, right? Can't this simply be a 7 digit number instead of
> 4f11d0a? Or increase the digit number to 10. Or parse it as blocks of
> 5 digits... Anything that a human brain can understand...
>
> And keep that same code in the build name, the about box, etc
>
> Please?

No, build numbers do not bump at each commit, they are bumped before
releases (beta, rc). 4f11d0a is the commit ID that git produces. It is
not in the source code.

Best regards,
Andras