[Libreoffice-qa] Evaluating first 3.5.0 Bug-Hunt Session

Christian Lohmaier lohmaier+libreoffice at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 30 05:13:23 PST 2011

Hi Cor, *,

On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 9:18 AM, Cor Nouws <oolst at nouenoff.nl> wrote:

> Wrt new bugs: we've seen 47 new bugs submitted.
> Query below (1)
>
> Would it be possible, cloph maybe, to have a list of the ones that joined on
> IRC. nicks, names, maybe country, if we know them, ...
> I did not yet look if submitted bugs were by new testers.

Well - a quick executive summary:
$ grep "has joined" /tmp/libreoffice.log  |awk '{print $4 "\t" $1
"]"}' |grep 2011-12-2[567] |awk '{print $1}' |sort |uniq |wc -l
168
$ grep "has joined" /tmp/libreoffice.log  |awk '{print $4 "\t" $1
"]"}' |grep 2011-12-2[56789] |awk '{print $1}' |sort |uniq |wc -l
320

So attendance was quite satisfying - about 150 additional people[1]
stepped by, nearly doubling the regular visitors (atm there are 98
people & bots in the channel)
i.e. on the days prior to the bughunt, from Sunday to Tuesday, 168
different nicks joined the channel, when the bughunt days (Wed & Thu)
we see an additional 152 nicks that did not show up on the previous
days.

So from this level: Surely a success :-)) The banner & announcements
did serve its purpose.

[1] that is the lower number - if from the regular visitors fewer did
join on wed&thu, then more new people did join instead, but you also
have to take "same person, different nick" into account (auto-joins
after connection drops and similar), so that number is a fair guess.

> I did not prepare any general 'thank you' wiki-page. Did had the idea, but
> slipped through. OTOH, it was my experience that people left mostly without
> notice in advance, so saying thanks via IRC just before leaving was
> difficult.
> I drafted a general 'thank you' message and send to our marketing list.

Yeah, this is OK - maybe we should have prepared a thank-you banner...

> I had the impression that quite some people took the opportunity to step in
> with user questions, not having the intention to help with the bug-hunt.

Yes, but that also isn't necessarily a bad thing. While the actual
intention of the bughunt (reveal severe bugs in 3.5.0beta2) might not
have been the actual focus, I'm satisfied with how busy the channel
was. (although it was much more quiet on Thursday)

> Furthermore the help of Cloph was great, IMO.

Oh, thank you for the flowers, although I myself didn't focus on the
3.5.0 hunt either (but rather took the opportunity to dig through
unconfirmed bugs) I tried my best to help out people asking questions
on the channel.

> What did I miss?

Scheduling a two-day event 24/7 basically was a major task - so kudos
for pushing it!
(although next time, we should make sure to have "fallback"-mentors available)

"Boring" wall-of-text data inline, as the list might strip all attachments:
List of "unique" visitors on bug-day (i.e. nicks that didn't show up
the three days before the bugdays) - I spot 12 nick-variants that are
clear duplicates at first sight from that list of 152 nicks. But
account for those that already joined on Tuesday, confusing the dates
and joining again on Thursday - doesn't really make that much of a
difference in this order of magnitude (and double-nicks of course also
happen in the previous days)
$ comm -3 regular.list all.list
	_0bitcount
	a0301241
	ajc
	Anastasia
	andres_
	AndroidLoverInSF
	anton_mei
	anton_meixome
	arist
	asa
	asdf_
	ashfall
	ashfall_
	asnoehu
	blauefuesse
	bugspray
	castermn
	castermn_
	chandoo
	chipotle
	ckoo
	CorNouws
	crm
	daf3707
	dalaen
	DawnFoster
	designbybeck
	dijonyummy
	donzoomik
	dragon_
	elix
	elixir007
	enoki
	enoki_
	enoki__
	enoki___
	enoki____
	eresus
	ertai_NL
	Fen1x
	ferite
	FernandoBasso
	filmsi
	fitoschido
	Fred_
	frob_tea
	fulka
	funkerhornsby
	gbpacheco
	GeraldG
	GeraldG_
	GeraldG__
	glin_
	gsymons
	gt106
	gt106_
	Guest17501
	Ha
	HaBart
	harish_
	hein_bloed
	helly
	hms
	Hot
	igustin
	imacat2
	interaction
	Jacek_
	j_b_m
	Jochen
	joehillen
	Jorendc
	jsharbb
	juanan
	kahu
	_KAMI_1
	Kano
	kingsley
	korrawit
	Ksa22
	kubanc
	kukac
	labinnsw
	LairdHeal
	lch8706
	lcv
	linuxvsmac
	ljh
	lmde_user
	lorenzo5930
	lukys_
	lvqing
	ManDay
	Marciov
	markit
	mars
	matus
	mirror176_
	misterbean
	mmeeks
	mnx
	moggi1
	munzir
	myEnglishIsPoor
	NEOhidra
	ngong_
	nickgreyink
	Octy
	oliver1804
	OlivierHallot
	OndraM
	Papamatti2
	patkoscsaba
	pppregin
	raulpacheco
	rdponticelli_
	rfv
	rumianom
	satul
	SavageSimian
	seku
	sgasgar
	shankarprasad
	smaug42__
	sophi
	sophi1
	Stefan_W
	stelt
	stephan
	stephan_
	Taolin
	temp123
	Teppo123
	tesstevegadd123_
	The_Ball
	timar
	todventtu
	Turl
	UnconventionalT
	v_2e
	vedran
	veki
	vista2012
	WanderFound
	wish
	xrfang
	yakuza
	yakuza_
	yqs09
	zaker
	zhanshime
	zvonimir

creating a by-country overview is rather tricky, as the hostmask would
have been translated to country.. So while somewhat possible, I'll
only look into it when asked again :-))
ciao
Christian