[Libreoffice-qa] Creating test cases for Litmus server

Petr Mladek pmladek at suse.cz
Fri Nov 4 15:27:12 PDT 2011

On Fri, 2011-11-04 at 17:13 +0100, Sophie Gautier wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 10:27 AM, Petr Mladek <pmladek at suse.cz> wrote:
> > There must be many people around that would want to help with testing.
> > Every localization team team had its own testers. We need to encourage
> > them. I think that the feature freeze for 3.5 release will be good point
> > to get attention. I wonder if we could make it easier with few more
> > changes.
>
> Here it's less a problem of tool than process.

Yes. Well, the tool might help us to set working processes.

>  The release process has changed and we have to draw a new testing
> process for the language teams. There is a sort of inertia between the
> dev process and the QA before everybody begin to work. So the shorter
> the delays are between the releases and the more difficult it is to
> organize tests. We need now to organize tests over several versions and
> a longer period of time. This should be documented and worked with the
> language teams.

I have created three new pages this week:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/QA/Testing/Regression_Tests
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/QA/Testing/Feature_Tests
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/QA/Testing/Create_Test_Case

I want to continue on this the following week. My target is to create
simple pages for different type of testers. The pages should describe
how to do the given work in few steps.

I want to make the top level page
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/QA more easy. It currently mixes many
things in a strange way. My idea is to use simple links for people
interested into:

    * regression testing
    * bug triage
    * developing automated tests and manual test cases

It should include more useful links at the bottom. Though, the various
details should be moved to the corresponding pages.

BTW1: The new pages include several FIXME's. I will fix some of them
myself. I will ask you for help and opinion in the other cases.

BTW2: The page
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/QA/Testing/Regression_Tests describes
my view on how the testing could work these days. I am interested into
your opinion. I hope that it is reasonable and might help testers to
work with the frequent releases.

>  They need to understand why it has changed and why it's
> important to organize the testing periods within their language
> community. There is a synergy to reactivate, push and make grow.

Let me know if I could somehow help to explain the reasons for the
current release process. It was big change for me as well. I think that
I am rather conservative. It took me long time to change my mind but I
see the many advantages now.

I think that Litmus should be in the centre of the QA work:

	* tell people what to do (active test runs)
        * coordinate the work (finished vs. unfinished test cases)
        * show status of the product (reported bugs, passed vs. failed
          tests)

Best Regards,
Petr