[Libreoffice-qa] automated testing of Base

Terrence Enger tenger at iseries-guru.com
Wed Oct 5 07:46:52 PDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-10-05 at 11:00 +0100, Michael Meeks wrote:
> Hi Terrence,
>
> On Tue, 2011-10-04 at 14:50 -0400, Terrence Enger wrote:
>
> 	For automated testing the developer's list is prolly the better place
> to post.

Thank you.  I'll do that when I start a new thread.

> 	Quite :-) we'd strongly prefer a unit-test-like test harness such as we
> have in sc/qa/unit/ (and CppUnit makefiles in the toplevel).

That's good.  The cppunit infrastructure is the one I feel
most ready to start looking at.

At risk of getting ahead of myself, let me ask ...

Does this imply that a failed test breaks the build?  It is
of course a good thing that tests should be executed
frequently, but there are many things outside of LibreOffice
itself that can go wrong; indeed, the database can be half a
world away.

Consider a local database for which the required server job
is not running.  Is the answer the same?

> 	Ho hum ;-) is there an ODBC driver that sqlite provides that we could
> use (in conjunction with a SQLite backend (currently there is none)) to
> make a fast/light unit test for base ? it would be fantastic to have
> anything in this space at all really ...

A bunch of Google hits keep leading back to
<http://www.ch-werner.de>.  The licence is "BSD-type",
whatever that means, and it has been tested on WinNT/2000
and Linux.

"Documentation/How Tos/Using SQLite With OpenOffice.org"
<http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/How_Tos/Using_SQLite_With_OpenOffice.org>
references that driver, and the page has lots of detail; at
first glance, nothing there contradicts what I think I
already know.

This is encouraging.  I guess trying this might be the most
useful thing I can do right now.  Right?

That same page mentions an experimental SDBC driver for
sqlite.  Perhaps somebody with more imagination than I can
find a benefit in having two routes to the same database.

For what little it is worth, I have seen a reference to an
ODBC driver for HSQLDB, but (a) it was called "exprimental",
and (b) I have not found where the driver itself is
available.  Of course, we *know* that HSQLDB is installed,
and that makes a big difference.

Terry.