[Libreoffice-qa] db test VM

Petr Mladek pmladek at suse.cz
Mon Oct 31 02:19:25 PDT 2011

Hi Stephan,

Stephan Bergmann píše v Pá 28. 10. 2011 v 08:28 +0200:
> (The smoke test is kind of a mixture,  driving soffice via remote UNO
>  from a C++ test, but the main test  logic is included in a BASIC
>  script that is run within soffice.   That's more for historical
>  reasons than a clean design, and I would  not necessarily recommend
>  modelling new tests after that pattern.)

Good to know.

> So, it remains to be seen whether subsequenttests can replace testtool;
> migrating the existing testtool tests would definitely not be trivial.

What is your opinion, please?

My feeling is that many people do not like testtool because it is:

	+ gives random failures:
		+ sleeps and waits everywhere in the test code
	+ hard to debug:
		+ unclear error messaged
		+ complex mapping between the elements in the testtool
                  code and LO code (icons, dialogs)
		+ need to run the test several times to understand what
                  happens there => quite time consuming
	+ hard to maintain:
		+ menu entries are accessed by the position in menu =>
                  new item breaks tests
		+ ...

Do you think that the subsequenttests might solve some of the above
problems?

IMHO, the best solution would be to involve developers into maintaining
the tests. We need some technology that they would like and accept.

What do you think?

Best Regards,
Petr