[Libreoffice-qa] [libreoffice-design] Future libreoffice.org web page: design request

Loic Dachary loic at dachary.org
Wed Sep 14 03:57:32 PDT 2011

On 09/14/2011 01:01 AM, Christoph Noack wrote:
> Hi Loic, hi all!
>
> I've refined the interaction design a bit and uploaded it to the wiki -
> replacing the file you've uploaded for me (thanks!):
Hi,

> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Bug_Submission_Assistant_-_ToDo#Web_design
>
> Comments on the new version:
>       * It is still a draft ...
>       * I refined the structure so that it matches better with the
>         design proposal you've send to me (navigation on the left side,
>         more dominant header).
>       * Added a few more steps and thought a bit how things could be
>         explained in a rather user-friendly language (whereas I tried to
>         be as understandable as possible until the bug report assistant
>         is entered).

I noticed the "next" button and the fact that each step would be displayed on its own.
I assume that the user would be able to click on a previous step to amend its choice. Is that right ?
If it is the case, let say (s)he changes the component. How would (s)he be notified that a new subcomponent must be chosen ?
In the case of a single page displaying all the information, I though there would be an error message + red border around the missing field.
With a multipage display I can't picture how it would work
>       * I've tried to follow your current workflow, added snippets
>         provided by Michael and Rainer ... and considered "getting help"
>         and "joining a user survey". However, the essential part "bug
>         report" would also work "stand-alone".
>       * The structure contains a lot of "Full Description" elements -
>         added for scalability reasons, if the normal field size is too
>         small. So, they can be removed if not needed.
I'm not sure what you're referring to. Are there the "Read on..." links ?
>       * Personally, I think the structure is just a contain to add the
>         real workflow like the one by Michael. I don't know what's
>         currently planned, but it would provide more guidance (asking
>         for crashes, rendering fidelity ...).
I suppose the bug report will eventually be a tree of decisions. Because of that
it won't be possible to display all the steps in advance on the leftmost menu. But
for now it is and changing later should not be too much of a problem.
>       * I've left some placeholders due to missing time and missing
>         knowledge, here it would be great if the others could jump in to
>         help us finalize the work.
>       * I might have missed some (or many) details, since I've tried to
>         avoid reading further mails this evening ... aehm ... night :-)
>       * And, grr, already found some caption mistakes after
>         uploading ... but that doesn't affect the concept.
>
> Feedback appreciated ... :-)

There are two technical issues that impact the user experience.

a) the fact that the bug assistant cannot register a new user (this has been covered extensively already and there is nothing to add, I think)
b) the fact that bugzilla only allows for an attachment once the bug is created. It means that no attachment can be required to the user *before* the bug is submitted. Of course, the bug assistant could hide this from the user. For instance the bug could be submitted just before the first attachment is required from him. However, since the goal of the bug submission assistant is to reduce the number of bugs that are poorly described, this should be done only after there is enough information in the bug report, so that even if the user gives up before attaching the document the created bug report is useable.

It is possible to workaround this limitation (attachments). However that implies the creation and maintainance of a server side temporary cache for attachments. This is not complex, but it adds a new layer to the bug submission assistant. It currently is client side only and there are no server side part. I'm happy to implement it if you think it's worth the trouble but I wanted to let you know what it entails, technically.
> Since this mail is send to the QA list / Design list as well, I'll keep
> most of the discussion we had so far.

I'm expecting proposals from a web designer participating in the following contest
http://99designs.com/web-design/contests/bug-submission-web-form-design-wanted-libreoffice-95945/brief
The work you've done with http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:BSAinteraction.png makes it a lot easier for them to understand what's going on. Much easier than playing with the live example.

Cheers