[Libreoffice-qa] Bug Submission Assistant translation

Loic Dachary loic at dachary.org
Thu Sep 15 03:40:16 PDT 2011

On 09/15/2011 12:03 PM, Rainer Bielefeld wrote:
> Hi,
>
> all required language pages can be prepared as Wiki-redirects to the corresponding English pages. 1 afternoon of work, then it's done, and as soon as they are filled with contents, he have a new UI language. May be those pages should be write protected until someone trustworthy asks for edit permissions, if the microformat is not respected, that might break the Assistant function.
Let's give it a try and see how you like it. What the bug assistant needs is a translation of all the strings it contains. The microformat could be as follows:

and that would show in the wiki as

The string is La chaine
is finished is est terminée

etc

An alternative would be to assign symbolic names to strings that need translation. For instance

BEGIN for "The string"
END for "is finished"

and use a microformat like this:

Although it is much shorter, I strongly advise against it because it requires A) to maintain symbolic names spread through the wiki, B) the translator has to lookup the original string elsewhere instead of looking at it inline.

I can't help but think we're trying to re-invent the wheel and/or fit squares into circles. Note that the point is less to make it easier on the bug assistant (it can extract strings from any kind of source). But to facilitate the work of the editor.

If we're using gettext, the edits will have to be done from a checkout of the git, in the bug.xhtml file and the resulting .pot file will then have to be submitted to pootle for translation. The bug assistant would periodically extract .po files from pootle to update the translations.

Cheers