[Libreoffice-qa] Bug Submission Assistant : status report

Christoph Noack christoph at dogmatux.com
Thu Sep 15 14:40:16 PDT 2011

Hi Lic, hi all!

CCing the Design Team ... please reply to the QA list.

Am Donnerstag, den 15.09.2011, 22:12 +0200 schrieb Loic Dachary:
> Hi,
>
> Today was mostly about the web design. There are three candidates
> designs
> (http://99designs.com/web-design/contests/bug-submission-web-form-design-wanted-libreoffice-95945) that I just uploaded at
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Bug_Submission_Assistant_-_ToDo#Deliverables
> I would really like your input. If nothing else a simple "I better
> like this URL" will suffice.

Oh, thanks for the links ... we should really avoid to let the BSA look
much better than LibreOffice itself ;-)

To be serious, I'd like to judge on the basis of our branding guidelines
and some usability findings - that makes choosing the right one a bit
easier.

> When commenting on these proposals, please bear in mind that
>  a) it's a contest and only one designer will be paid,
>  b) the deadline of the contest is in 48 hours,
>  c) the prize is USD$495 (thanks to Free Software Foundation France for funding this work).

Very cool - I wasn't aware that FSF is so kind to fund this :-)

As an additional note - do we get the "source code" to work on further
refinements / changes after the challenge is over?

> When interacting with the web designers, I heavily relied on Christoph
> Noack interaction schematics
> ( http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/cgi_img_auth.php/d/df/BSAinteraction.png ) with one noticeable difference : I stick to a one page application instead of implementing the "Next" button allowing for multi pages, because the multi page interaction has not been defined yet.

Hope to do that today ... at least a bit.

> My goal is to integrate the web design that will be available in two
> days so that the minimal version of the bug submission assistant is
> better looking than it currently is. My dream is that the web design
> produced will be useful for the evolution of the bug submission
> assistant.

Okay, so here is what I think - basically each of the designs needs
tweaking to really fit, but one fits more than the other:

      * Hitron: While quite similar to the LibreOffice UI, the texts are
        hard to read (accessibility) and the tree views are incorrect
        (usability). Furthermore, it doesn't really fit to the branding
        guidelines stating e.g. "Friendly: The visual design creates a
        smooth and joyful environment. For example, rounded corners and
        the fresh color palette are used.".
      * Iva: I think it fits a bit better from the visual POV, although
        I've found some usability issues. For example, the captions (the
        green bubbles) might look like buttons for some - the closed
        design does not refer to the input fields. Furthermore, the
        grouping via the gray background is sometimes a bit strange
        (doesn't include that should be grouped). Furthermore, the
        information element (orange) in the lower right is too far away
        from the name/password input ... people might not notice it.
      * See: My favorite so far ...
              * because:
                      * everything is grouped in a box ... easy to
                        understand what belongs together
                      * the understandability of the sequence steps
                        (left side) is much better than in the last
                        iteration
              * but:
                      * The text "BugText" does not fit into our
                        branding scheme
                      * Furthermore, the "textured" background for
                        Submit and the header is a bit different to what
                        we use ... if possible, a green on (different)
                        green motif should be used for large areas
                      * the dashed lines do not fit and adds visual
                        noise
                      * the "Submit" button is something good -
                        red/orange is a warning color (in most
                        countries), e.g. blue would fit better

We should "See" whether some of these things could be resolved ... then
we get close to perfectionism ;-)

By the way, I don't know whether it is possible, but maybe the designers
could add a large "problem icon" based on the Tango icons set (default
in LibO)?
http://tango.freedesktop.org/Tango_Icon_Theme_Guidelines

[...]

Hope this helped a bit ...