[Libreoffice-qa] Bug Submission Assistant: Workflows and Interaction Design

Christoph Noack christoph at dogmatux.com
Sat Sep 17 12:29:46 PDT 2011

Hi all,

here is an update concerning the BSA.

INTERACTION DESIGN

The updates:
      * Refined the "feedback.libo.org" page and added (not yet
        available) brainstorming page just to show what could be done
      * Added a small warning to the "Preparation" page that all
        information (incl. attachments) will be made public
      * Switched "Submit" and "Attachments" pages to meet the Bugzilla
        constraints
      * Refined the summary page that shows all input by the user before
        submitting
      * Reworked the attachment page (an ideal approach) to add
        screenshots and files incl. comments
      * Refined the document meta-data

Currently, this version has varying interaction quality - some things
are seem very well designed, others need tweaking. My personal take is
to use what's possible and to refine the first milestone that gets
online. If there are systematic errors, then please tell me.

Thus, I'd like to ask Rainer and Loic to do a review of the interaction
design and whether it fits to the overall concept they have in mind.

By the way, I tried to take care of the understandability of the
descriptive text ... would be cool if these could be re-used.

Here is the current version:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:BSAinteraction.png

(If anybody needs the source file, please ping me. Missed to add it to
the wiki.)

WORKFLOWS

Loic said that he will transform the existing workflows into the BSA,
but more refined workflows need to be created for the next versions.
Moreover, he said that the workflows might be non-linear ... and finally
we end up in "business processes modeling" ;-)

In my experience, the best way to start is with a real "high level" view
about the dialog / flow of the system with the user (omitting all
errors, how its shown to the user, what steps are bundled, ...).
Consequently, I've documented the interaction design workflow (from
above) in a Draw file.

Feel free to extend / modify / add stuff to this file, since it might be
a good discussion basis for further refinement.

http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:2011-09-17_BugReportAssistent_HighLevelWorkflowDescriptions.odg

All the information is currently available in the "Web design" section
on the ...ToDo wiki page, but I think that doesn't fit. I'd like to ask
you where it fits best (specifications, web design, new section, ...).
To be honest, I feel a bit lost :-)

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
Christoph