[Libreoffice-qa] Should I update to 3.?

Cor Nouws oolst at nouenoff.nl
Tue Apr 10 13:38:37 PDT 2012

Hi Rainer, Florian, *,

Rainer Bielefeld wrote (07-04-12 19:05)

> very often we hear this question, and again and again we have to state
> that that question only can be answered by the questioner.
> [...]
> So after the question from someone who uses 3.4.5 and plans to update to
> 3.5.2 I created a query showing all potential (known) blockers that
> might hinder someone who successfully uses 3.4.5 to update to 3.5.2
>
> May be the query is also useful for you?

Thanks for sharing those. Really useful.
In communicating about this, I think it is good that we make some extra
considerations.
Imagine someone looking at our website and seeing "Do I want to upgrade
to LibreOffice 3.5?" with links to 'blocker issues' (1) we may miss two
important things in communication with our public:
- it easily gives the perception of a product that is not good enough;
   and it is a mistake if our communications could give that impression.
   (others of course would like to give that idea, but not us..)
- to be able to make a balanced choice, users should be able to compare
   the exiting bugs in 3.5.x with the existing improvements. There might
   well be 'blocker' issues in 3.4.x that the user got used to, found
   a workaround for... but still would love to use a version that is
   better in that respect.

1) Of course I refer to your contribution, Florian ;-)
Sorry that I have these remarks with your blog. I really appreciate your
contributions, but hope that you can understand my concerns. Something
that we can discuss extensively on e.g. this list, can be misunderstood
if it is packed in a 'wrong' message.

Cheers,

--
  - Cor