[Libreoffice-qa] Office XP/2003, 2007/2010 formats import/export -- most used feature.

Petr Mladek pmladek at suse.cz
Tue Apr 24 08:55:22 PDT 2012

Hi dE,

I am happy to read this because I see a nice solution from what you
wrote.

dE . píše v Út 24. 04. 2012 v 10:55 +0530:
> On 04/23/12 20:47, Michael Meeks wrote:

> Yes, absolutely, the MAB should be in a reasonable limit such that it
> looks 'solvable'.

Exactly. We need to keep the 50 or 200 bugs slightly aside. Do not
worry. We already put many less critical regressions aside but we fix
them actively.

> What I suggest is a metabug for interoperability issues. These issues
> are hard to fix, and the dev team should know that these bugs, although
> hard to fix, are very important and if some dev does have the skills to
> fix them, he should fix these bugs instead of doing something else.

Yes, we have several developers that worked and are working on
import/export problems.

> Also in the list of ~200 bugs, I think real bugs will be only in ~50..
> the others must be duplicates; the same bug reproducing itself in many
> way. But these duplicates can only be detected by developers themselves
> since this requires knowledge of the format.

It will be a big help if you could sort these interoperability bugs:

	+ group them
	+ prioritize them
	+ close duplicates

In this case, I prefer using whiteboard instead of metabug:

	+ it works fine (easy to set and query)
	+ we already use it for bug in rtf import/export,
          general regressions, or easy hacks
	+ it is clear where to add comment (to the particular bug :-)

The only drawback is that you need to remember the name of the keyword
but you would need to remember the number of the meta bug as well.

I suggest to put:

	+ "inter-operability" into "Whiteboard" for all these bugs
	+ plus "regression" in "Keywords" for things that used to work
          in older LO/OOo versions; this information is very helpful;
          even better is if someone finds what exact version first
          showed the regression
	+ and maybe plus "doc_filter", "docx_filter", "ppt_filter",
          "pptx_filter", "xls_filter", "xlsx_filter" into "Whiteboard"
		+ we already have "rtf_filter"
		+ every format has its own group of experts that work on
                  it, so this help them to find their bugs

I would add query for open "inter-operability" bugs at
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Release_Criteria. Take inspiration
from the query for "regressions".

If you have many bugs in more groups, it would make sense to create
similar pages that we have for easy hacks. Please, find inspiration at
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Easy_Hacks_by_Topic

I am looking forward to see this happen. It will be another big step
forward.

Best Regards,
Petr