[Libreoffice-qa] git review (was: minutes of ESC call ...)

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Thu Aug 2 14:21:25 PDT 2012

Hi all,

On Thu, Aug 02, 2012 at 05:52:16PM +0100, Michael Meeks wrote:
> ESC minutes

here is a topic for the next ESC call. Quite a few of you have already used:

 http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/GitReview

so:

- what are the experiences?
- should we recommend it in general?

I think there are two scenarios we want to consider.

newcomer/casual contributor/submitter:
- should work out of the box (without install) for simple patch upload
- should be most trivial (no complex switches or parameters)
- does not need to provide review capabilities (the web UI is perfectly suited
  for a first attempt at a review, CLI is only interesting for mass review)

core dev/reviewer:
- an one time setup cost doesnt hurt too bad
- can some more complexity for addiional features
- mass review from the CLI should be possible

Ignoring the second group for now (they will create their own
Python/Perl/Haskell/Brainfuck scripting in the end anyway). If the feedback by
current users of git review is positive and deemed suitable for firsttime
users, I would suggest, if possible, to dump a copy that can work standalone
into the core repo root. Even if it might be outdated compared to openstack its
likely better in the long run than ./logerrit for submittal. But IMHO
git-review MUST work out of the box then -- without any setup.

@David: Do you think git-review allows that?

For reviewers, we keep the ./logerrit sceleton around (removing all submittal
functionality) - not so much because its an excellent client, but as template
fro whatever scripting reviewers write themselves in the end.

Best,

Bjoern

(*) plus patching to provide something like "./logerrit resubmit"