[Libreoffice-qa] Fwd: [tdf-announce] The Document Foundation announces LibreOffice 3.6 with a wealth of new features and improvements

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Mon Aug 13 04:04:50 PDT 2012

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 11:02:49AM +0100, Michael Meeks wrote:
> > or rewriting filters just to introduce 12 regressions.
>
> 	Um - you think we re-write filters just to introduce regressions ? :-)
> If it's the RTF filter you're concerned about (the biggest re-write
> recently), it has removed a ton of buggy, complicated, horrible code;
> worse - code that was duplicated so that fixing it had no value for
> improving inter-operability elsewhere. We (the ESC) made a strategic
> decision to take some regressions there - in order to have much greater
> sharing of the filter code, such that we have less code, and hence our
> bug fixes have more impact across all Microsoft import and export
> filters.

And bugzilla supports this message:

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/report.cgi?x_axis_field=resolution&y_axis_field=bug_status&z_axis_field=&query_format=report-table&short_desc_type=allwordssubstr&short_desc=rtf&product=LibreOffice&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=VERIFIED&bug_status=CLOSED&bug_status=NEEDINFO&bug_status=PLEASETEST&longdesc_type=allwordssubstr&longdesc=&bug_file_loc_type=allwordssubstr&bug_file_loc=&status_whiteboard_type=allwordssubstr&status_whiteboard=&keywords_type=allwords&keywords=&bug_id=&bug_id_type=anyexact&emailtype1=substring&email1=&emailtype2=substring&email2=&emailtype3=substring&email3=&chfieldvalue=&chfieldfrom=&chfieldto=Now&field0-0-0=noop&type0-0-0=noop&value0-0-0=&format=table&action=wrap

I count 134 RESOLVED/VERIFIED/CLOSED bugs for rtf and 57 in NEW/ASSIGNED
leaving aside 14 in NEEDINFO/UNCONFIRMED. I would seriously consider that
clearly moving in the right direction. And I have seen the old RTF code -- there
is no way that would have been possible with that unmaintainable pile.

Also note that the 57 still open bugs also include bugs that were there even in
the old RTF filter.

Best,

Bjoern