[Libreoffice-qa] Moztrap, some questions

Petr Mladek pmladek at suse.cz
Thu Aug 16 05:35:49 PDT 2012

Yi Fan Jiang píše v Čt 16. 08. 2012 v 01:31 -0600:
>   It actually is a brilliant idea to make all the stuff automatically synced, but in
>   practice it needs a lot of time to investigate and manual interference seems
>   inevitable. I am sharing my concern that we need to make Moztrap *fastly*
>   adapted to all QA people with very limited resource. And for sure we should
>   consider how the test case should currently organized for migrating to a future
>   better solution (how automation translation plays a role here could be one of the options).
>
>   What enlightens me that it should make sense to leverage automation
>   translation technique in Moztrap UI translation :)

On one side, I like the idea of automatic translations. Though, I am
afraid that we will need real localizations support in Moztrap anyway
because:

	+ better translations quality; tests need to be understandable
          even for beginners
	+ language dependent tests; they can't be translated directly
	+ support more languages; Google is powerful but the translator
          supports less localizations than LO; also I am not sure of the
          quality of each language; I guess that some languages are
          easier to translate automatically than others

BTW: I think that there will be similar problems with automatic
translations and real translations. You will need to modify UI and touch
similar piece of code for both of them.

I would prefer to spend resources on real localization than on the
automatic translation.

Note that we have many active translators. We currently do not have
enough hackers that would allow them to translate Moztrap.

>   For those language dependent test cases (only makes sense to test in French
>   locale for example), it makes sense to write in native language only. While an
>   English translation for it is still *better-to-have* since we want to share
>   information in the community. At least English speaking people could
>   understand what has been tested when reviewing and reusing the test.

Also I think that many language dependent tests will have the same
principle and number of steps. For example, spell checking is tested the
same way in all localizations. You just need to use another test text
and expect another broken words, another suggested replacements, ...

>   In either of the case, it will not seem to break a workaround like:
>
>       http://vm12.documentfoundation.org/runtests/run/21/env/633/

+ advantages:
	+ compact; do not need to scroll that much
+ disadvantages:
	+ steps and expected results are far from each other; it is
          harder so see how exactly they are connected

A solution would be to use another syntax, e.g.

When in English
  1. launch Libreoffice Base
      >> the database application appears, the database wizard opens
  2. check [Create a database] then click on Next button.
      >> the dialog for "save and proceed" appears
  3. check [Yes, register the database for me] and [Open the database
     for edition] and click on Finish
      >> a file save dialog appear
  4. enter a name for the database in the dialog box and click OK
      >> a new database can be created successfully

When in French
  1. ...
  2. ...

>       http://vm12.documentfoundation.org/runtests/run/23/env/634/

+ advantages:
	+ step and result is clearly connected; this connection is
          enforced by UI when creating the test
        + follows the current design => it is more intuitive when
          creating the test case; also it should be easier to switch
          to real localization once implemented
+ disadvantages:
	+ harder to find your localization for each step

Well, the brain automatically finds some known words. Also I think that
we will get only very few localizations in the beginning; I hope that we
will get real localizations support before it gets unreadable.

Best Regards,
Petr