[Libreoffice-qa] RC3 released as Final version???

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Wed Feb 15 06:38:27 PST 2012

Hi all,

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 01:48:56PM +0000, Michael Meeks wrote:
> Hi Petr,
>
> On Wed, 2012-02-15 at 12:20 +0100, Petr Mladek wrote:
> > 4. Always omit the human readable "rcX" and distinguish the builds
> >    another way, .e.g. by the tag number 3.x.y.z.
> >
> >    Will this be enough for QA people?

It has to. Also having the repository tag be exactly the same as the stuff
showing up in "About" has one beautiful and rare attribute: consistency!

> 	I tend to think waiting extra days, and taking extra risk to do more QA
> on an ~identical build with one string changed is pretty silly.

Yes. Esp. since the ~ in ~identical might be a real problem. We really want to
release the binary version that was tested, not some untested binary that is
build from an almost identical source and then pushed to the innocent without
any serious testing after rebuilding. Given the size of LibreOffice, making
the final release with an essentially untested binary build is outright insane
IMHO.

> 	We could try using a different name for the last release Gold Master
> Candidate (gmc) instead of "release candidate" or somesuch ;-) then
> fewer people would know what it meant, and fewer might get uppity.

Nah, lets not introduce yet-another-confusing-layer-of-abstraction.

> 	Then again, those doing the most complaining prolly perhaps missed the
> release note that states that RC3 was final, and will not have to do the
> many man-hours of detailed work themselves [ so it seems easy ] just to
> get that one string changed ;-)
>
> 	Honestly, if this is our biggest problem, we are in fantastic shape ;-)

Indeed.

Best,

Bjoern

P.S.: btw Debian (and thus also Ubuntu) currently patch out the rc from the
About box. But that is something different as those binaries are getting
serious testing by volunteers still before being subjected on the unsuspecting.
If we have the tagname (instead of a rc or somesuch) in the About box, Id
propose to use that as-is in distro builds too (again: consistency).