[Libreoffice-qa] guidelines for filing bugs

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Tue Jan 31 04:10:38 PST 2012

On Mon, 2012-01-30 at 11:52 -0500, Terrence Enger wrote:
> I wonder if it would be a good idea to say, somewhere in the
> wiki pages about filing bugs, something like ...

	:-) I'm afraid almost everyone thinks that their problem is obvious,
and that we're morons for not seeing it, or for not even knowing that
that feature exists ;-) That (I think) is one of the (sad) facts of
developer / QA engineer's lives - hopefully we make it up by being
friendly with each other :-)

>     Please be patient with requests for information which
>     should be obvious: if everything actually was as it
>     should be, then there would be no bug to report.
>     Similarly, a bug may consist of the program basing an
>     output on an input which *should* have nothing to do
>     with the calculation of that output.

	Yep - hopefully we get people to file bugs via the bug submission
assistant that IIRC makes the need for clarity and self-contained-ness
more clear (at least it should).

> If this is a good idea, I would welcome suggestions about
> wording and a good place to put it.

	Trying to customize the freedesktop bugzilla filing flow is (I think)
much harder than making the bug submission assistant cleaner. Hope he
didn't upset Lionel or you anyhow :-)

	HTH,

		Michael.