[Libreoffice-qa] Am I crazy or is it LibreOffice 3.6? ; -) Please help to confirm/disprove this nasty bug

Roman Eisele qalists at eikota.de
Thu Jul 12 12:46:08 PDT 2012

Hello all,

doing some real live work with LibreOffice Writer 3.6 beta 2/3, I have
noticed some inexplicable increase in .odt file size. When I took a look
at the XML code inside the .odt files, I was surprised: even simple
documents were saved with incredibly complex <span>...</span> structures
and with countless automatic paragraph styles and character styles which
seemed to appear out of nowhere.

It took me two days to track down what exactly is going wrong with
paragraph and character styles in LibreOffice 3.6 beta 3; I have tried
to describe my observations in the bug 52028. The report is rather
lengthy, sorry for this, but I think that an exact description is very
important here -- the bug is almost invisible at the UI level, it plays
its dirty game completely at the XML level of the .odt files.

I still hope that I am doing something wrong (but what?) and that this
is not really a new bug in LibreOffice. But it looks so. So please,
after I have spent so much time on this issue, could someone else please
help by checking this issue -- following the exact steps I have given in
my report should be rather easy. And then please tell me if I am wrong
or LibreOffice 3.6 ;-)

Thank you very much for any help in advance!

	Roman