[Libreoffice-qa] How to improve our Bug tracking system

Petr Mladek pmladek at suse.cz
Fri Jun 1 02:20:09 PDT 2012

Hi Miguel,

thanks for your input.

MiguelAngel píše v St 30. 05. 2012 v 23:41 +0200:
> El 22/05/12 19:36, Rainer Bielefeld escribió:
> > Hi all,
> > I now want to start to collect ideas how we can make a big step
> > improving our (Bugzilla) Bug tracking system. The goal is that after we
>
> Hi all,
>
> A few comments about.
>
> a) From user POV, the first time in bugzilla is not easy because you
> need select LibreOffice to introduce the bug, and LibreOffice is not in
> the beginning of a long applications list. Difficult to know where you
> are, specially for people without level of English. Like a wall for many
> people I think.
>
> · Best an own bugzilla.

I would like own bugzilla as well. Unfortunately, we have troubles to
find a volunteer who would maintain it ;-)

> b) Break the perception that sometimes have reporters, who think that
> nobody is care about his reported bug.
> I guess when devs gain same confidence in some users it's easier for
> those gain the devs attention.
>   Maybe some community volunteers can make a first approximation to the
> bugs, i.e. get more information from the users, verify the bug, do a
> first classification, regression, bug, improvement, blocker, critical, etc.

We already have few people doing this and we are looking for much more.
If you could spend some minutes or hours with bugzilla from time to
time, it would help a lot. See
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/BugTriage for hints.

> c) We always think our bugs are the more important in the world, and
> tend to fix the importance too high in consequence. This introduce too
> noise in the bugzilla.
>
> · Don't let the reporters set the importance at least without a second
> confirmation, for example from a volunteer.
>
> d) The header bug with the comment box is so hight. You can`t see in the
> first view the first post. And as the comment box is on top, while
> writing a comment you can't see the last comments.
>
> · Design the header with a more compressed presentation, moving the
> comment box to the bottom.

Please, add these two ideas at
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/How_to_Improve_Bugzilla We are
collecting them there.

> Could be a volunteers group in the TDF?.
> IMHO a good step to make easy for the people introducing in the project,
> feel as part, participating in some decisions, create bridges for people
> who don't know the English. And probably get a wider base of the community.

I am not sure what you mean by this. There are many volunteers around
the project. They contribute code, translations, triaging bugs, doing
testing, improving design, answering questions on the user mailing
lists. Each group has its own mailing list. Some groups have its own irc
channel, regular meetings, ... Anyone could contribute, take activity in
some area and put ideas into life. The main entry point is at
http://www.libreoffice.org/get-involved/

We just need to grow this community and have more active agents
everywhere. You might be one of them :-)

Best Regards,
Petr