[Libreoffice-qa] New Bugzilla Version Picker items – 2

Petr Mladek pmladek at suse.cz
Thu Jun 7 07:47:28 PDT 2012

On Thu, 2012-06-07 at 12:11 +0200, Rainer Bielefeld wrote:
> Petr Mladek schrieb:
> "rc" should not appear in Help/About", that's an additional info added
> to Bugzilla Version like "Master".

yes

> > Could we use the same scheme also in bugzilla? I mean:
> >
> >     3.5.98.1 (3.6.0alpha1)
> >     3.5.98.1+ (3.6.0alpha1+daily)
> >     3.5.99.1 (3.6.0beta1)
> >     3.6.0.1 (3.6.0rc1)
>
> Yes, a big advantage would be if we coud rework the scheme a little so
> that the version number is more or less in accordance with the timeline.
> Currently I do not understand "3.5.99.1 (3.6.0beta1)". If that is
> Mozilla intention I would prefer something like
>
> 3.6.0.00x  for alphas
> 3.6.0.0x0  for betas
> 3.6.0.100 for RC (example) and/or  release
> 3.6.0.200 for RC (example) and/or  release
> 3.6.0.200 for release(example)

Interesting idea. The advantage is that it is clearly related to 3.6
release. The disadvantage is that it is not intuitive what is
alpha/beta/rc. 3.6.0.000 might look like the first stable release of
3.6.0 and 3.6.0.001 like the first bugfix release.

If we want to use only numbers to avoid problems with alphanumeric
sorting, I still prefer the .98, .99 versioning for alphas and betas.

> Only a first thought
>
> But generally we can think about making that "alpha" and "beta" also an
> "additional information" (No problem if it additinally is in Help/About)
> and make a "w.x.yy.zz" Numbering scheme the main information (also
> readable for Bug Submission Assistant)

IMHO, we need not search via the whole string. The "3.X.Y.Z" substring
might be enough for searching. We might ignore the extra information in
brackets during search.

> A Very bad thing is that we can not search the Bugzilla Bug picker for a
> Version copied from Help about, and so currently something like
> "3.5.99.1" might be more fault-prone than a "3.6.0beta1" for transfer /
> selection by human beings. But I believe that is a base for further
> thougts, and the priority should be a logic Version sheme in "Help
> About", Bugzilla pickers will have to follow (somehow).

Hmm, I am not sure if I understand it. When do you need to copy the
version? I guess that you need to select it from the list of available
versions. There will be the human friendly explanation in brackets...

> > I think that we do not need to care that much about 3.4 and 3.5 betas;
> > they are dead anyway.
>
> I would like to have 3.5 and 3.6 in the correct scheme, for 3.3 and 3.4
> I currently want to leave the Bugzilla versions more or less as they
> are, only stripping the leading "LibO "

My point is that we can't change the string in about dialog for already
released builds. But I think that it is not a blocker. It is more
important to have correct string in newly released builds. People only
rarely report bugs for too old builds.

Best Regards,
Petr