[Libreoffice-qa] Importing from Mindview worth our time??

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Sat Jun 30 09:20:21 PDT 2012

Hi Joel,

On Sat, 2012-06-30 at 08:38 -0700, Joel Madero wrote:
> Michael, not quite sure where you're talking about putting that
> statement.

	:-) in the message when we close it.

> We could put WONTFIX with a message to the reporter that states.

	So - I start to like the bravery and sanity of this approach the more I
think about it :-)

>  "Unfortunately because of the limited number of developers and the
> minimal impact that this enhancement will have on our user base we
> have decided to mark this bug as WONTFIX. We have added a whiteboard
> status of PATCHESWELCOME so if one of the developers ever have time or
> the desire they can look this up."

	Let me re-phrase that; how about this (for anything that is not a
completely crack smoking non-feature eg. "why not Integrate Outlook
Express" ;-) - I write a mail like this regularly in reply to our info@
alias which tends to get similar feature suggestions :-)

	"Thank you for your feature suggestion. LibreOffice is a
	 voluntary project, if you would like to develop this feature,
	 we would love to invest our time in integrating you and
	 your work into the project.
	"However, at the present time it seems unlikely that this issue
	 will find volunteers to tackle it, so we will close it WONTFIX
	 (for now), and have added a PATCHESWELCOME whiteboard status to
	 make it easy for others to find in the future if they have
	 spare time and a shortage of good ideas".

	More wordy - but perhaps more welcoming ? :-)

> Then of course we can be more detailed to specific requests like this
> one, such as saying the software is closed source and would be really
> difficult to implement.

	Yep - makes sense in this specific case: "in the absence of a
specification, it would take a substantial investment of time to
implement this".

	IMHO it is well worth turning around other people's feature requests
into a challenge to get involved with the project :-)

	Otherwise, I'm well up for WONTFIX'ing that sort of thing to clean it
up, and building a suitably friendly & encouraging template for that.

	Thanks for raising & thinking this through !

	All the best,

		Michael.