[Libreoffice-qa] test cases quality; was: Ubuntu/Canonical doing more manual testing for LibreOffice?

Petr Mladek pmladek at suse.cz
Fri Mar 2 07:03:50 PST 2012

Sophie Gautier píše v Pá 02. 03. 2012 v 14:33 +0100:
> - are the tests on Litmus good enough or should I write more?

Great point. We have only very few test cases in Litmus (less than 50)
and the quality is debatable :-/

For example, I see test cases:

	+ create empty Writer document
	+ create empty Calc document

I do not think that we need manual tests for this. This basic operation
is part of any other complex test. In addition, exactly this is tested
within few seconds using the smoketest.

Another bunch of tests sounds like:

	+ Translation check of creating a new database
	+ Translation check when creating a table in a database
	+ Translation check for Formula Editor

Of course, we need to check that the application is translated but we
can't check every dialog manually. Instead of the above particular
dialogs, we should check that different elements are localized, for
example:

	+ "File/New" menu - because it consists of optional components
                          that are added from xml registry files
 	+ main menu and one submenu
	+ a dialog with tabs, check boxes, combo boxes, itemized list,
          and other elements
	+ help - because it using another technology than the other
                 dialogs
	+ KDE/GNOME safe dialog because they are done another technology
                 as well
	+ extensions - because the translation is done slightly
                    different way

If one submenu is localized, the other submenus should be localized as
well if the strings are in pootle.

IMHO, we need to discuss what test cases make sense and create a
reasonable test cases first.

We are still looking for an experienced QA guy who could step in, teach
people and drive this forward.

Best Regards,
Petr