[Libreoffice-qa] [TESTED] Re: 3.5.1 Online Update testing

Christian Lohmaier lohmaier+libreoffice at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 9 06:17:26 PST 2012

Hi Nino, *,

On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 2:01 PM, Nino Novak <nn.libo at kflog.org> wrote:
> On Friday 09 March 2012, 03:57:48 Pedro wrote:
> [...]
> For a 3.5.1 instal it should only report when a 3.5.2 (final!) update is
> available.
>
> (So the test is "not passed" in my eyes)
>
> Or does the notifyer behave different in RCs? (If so, it's not an RC!)

It is not LibreOffice that is different here, it is the response it
gets from the update-server.

Each published version has a different version identifier. Whether
that version is flagged as final version or not is what matters, and
that of course can be done on the update-server.

rc, beta, final - all send a request like "I'm LibreOffice <version>,
the <os> version, in <language>, tell me whether there is an update".
And the update-server looks up version and decides whether one of the
available versions  match as an update. And either responds with "no,
no update for you", or "yes, there is an update, <details here>"

So in a way you are contradicting yourself here anyway, you assume
that it is LibreOffice that behaves differently, and demand that newer
RCs are only advertised to previous RCs, but at the same time demand
that the RC would not behave differently as the final version (which
is always the case, as the last rc is just renamed to final with no
changes). This won't work. But as written above: it is the server that
makes the decision whether there is an update, not LibreOffice.
LibreOffice just displays the server's response.

ciao
Christian