[Libreoffice-qa] Regressions in Open Source projects ...

Rainer Bielefeld LibreOffice at bielefeldundbuss.de
Thu Mar 15 23:21:15 PDT 2012

Hi,

I do not want to invest too much time into this discussion, because that
only hinders me and you all to contribute to the project and to solve
the problems. But I strongly disagree with all belittlement of
regressions. Although IMHO creation of 3.5.0 has been a good job, it
would not be usable for me, if I were a normal user. Here some parts of
my daily work with LibO OOo:

a) Regression "Bug 47096 EDITING: Alt + Drag and Drop for complete rows
impossible in particular documents" frequently forces me to use 3.4.5.

b) Regression "Bug 45385 EDITING: Copy Paste formula to different
document adds source document filename to references" (what even isn't
accepted as a bug, but will be a showstopper for me to use LibO if no
solution will be found) frequently forces me to use 3.4.5.

c) 3.4 has no working e-mail mail merge, so I have to use 3.5 for this.

d) No LibO version shows line width in Chart legend correctly because of
"Bug 31551 Lines in legend not shown with current width", so I have to
use OOo 3.1.1 for some needs (inherited problem, 3.3 has the same
problem like LibO). But unfortunately OOo 3.1.1 is very unstable with my
master documents edited with LibO.

May be you understand why I have some empathy for users fulminating on
mailing lists and why I never recommended LibO to friends without many
reservations?

But we should use our time to find and eliminate these problems instead
of whining, thanks to all pest control helpers.

Best regards

Rainer