[Libreoffice-qa] Regressions in Open Source projects ...

Cor Nouws oolst at nouenoff.nl
Thu Mar 22 10:11:06 PDT 2012

Hi Petr, Bjoern, *,

Petr Mladek wrote (22-03-12 14:44)

> Developers are already pretty overloaded. I doubt that they have time to
> write detailed testcases in Litmus. It does not make sense to write one
> line in Litmus when it is already mentioned in the commit log.

I agree.

> I suggest that QA volunteers follow commit messages (would be my week
> summary still useful here?) and check affected areas. They might ask the
> developer when in doubts. It will teach developers to write better
> commit messages, ...

QA volunteers are pretty much loaded too.
And you know the difference between a volunteer and a candle? The latter
you can buy yourself a new one when it's burned...

> The same is valid for features. We already have release notes in the
> wiki page. QA guys could watch it and play with new features. They might
> just document in Litmus what they did.

So, what did we learn from the mails last weeks, from Sophies questions
to l10n about litmus, from Rainers reports at ESC meetings etc?
- People do not use litmus because of lack of time;
- issues still come in a bit faster then QA people can track & trace;
- submitting of issues has improved, but can still be better;
- few people specifically sit down to test new features, unlikely that
they will document that and enrich Litmus;
- focus of a QA volunteer may easily be diverted between e.g. 3.5.2,
stable, 3.4.6, master, Linux, Windows sometimes;
- still important issues may be hidden for too long in bugzilla, and
still devs sometimes are too busy to pick up even regressions in master
quickly
- many good ideas!
- etc etc
- still we improve and have a great 3.5- release line IMNSHO :-)

So I see some main lines that to me look logic to follow now, beside the
'regular' tasks:
- work on gathering more people for the QA work step by step;
- make the work more attractive as you can do that *easily*;
- do the things that are easy for you, that you like to do, to spend
time effective;
- don't rush;
- praise each other for all the good work that we do.

Kind regards,

--
  - Cor
  - http://nl.libreoffice.org