[Libreoffice-qa] [libreoffice-design] Send Feedback Option

Stefan Knorr (Astron) heinzlesspam at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 14:32:07 PST 2012

Hi all,

Rainer wrote this:
> I like it! And I have some proposals for additions.

Very helpful, thanks. I think I included a bit of almost everything
you said when I updated the page.

On 29 November 2012 21:23, Michael Meeks <michael.meeks at suse.com> wrote:
>         Hah :-) so - JFYI - when people click on send-feedback, we now have
> more details about their systems: the exact version of the software
> they're running, the platform, the component (writer, base etc.) and
> more. That would need propagating to "file a bug" of course;

Sure. Keep in mind, what I did is intended as a mockup, not as a final
implementation. I think I left out everything that was harder to do,
for Rob. I didn't know we add version strings to the feedback URL now,
though. That's definitely nice progress.

>         I wonder - Mozilla have done a lot of this work before us - can we
> re-use their backend infrastructure and share development work on that ?
> it'd suck to re-invent all their data analytics / query processing
> etc. ?

Here's how I think Twitter v/ Mozilla's system stack up:

Twitter:
* no need to set up a new hardware/etc. (at least for collecting
feedback; analysing feedback without hardware might be harder)
* verified users => less spam (?)
* many people have Twitter accounts already, so not such a high hurdle
* possible to follow up with users, creating actual contact between
developers/designers/QA'ers/marketeers/... and users
* people might expect us to follow up with them, and when we don't
they become angry (?)
* data becomes Twitter's property not ours
* dependent on Twitter's general mood and API
* probably hard to annotate tweets with LibO/OS version

i.m.o:
* need to set up hardware
* lots and lots of spam and gibberish
* no hurdle but clicking the Send Feedback button
* impossible to follow up with users
* posts are automatically tagged with LibO/OS version
* data is our property

The (supposed) ease of use (both to us and the user) and the promise
of having less spam make Twitter seem attractive to me, still.

>         is prolly beyond us ATM, but ... perhaps worth collecting if someone
> will do real analytics on it.

I personally think the feedback is mostly useful for collecting
real-world thumbs-ups/thumbs-downs by region and time.[1] As you said,
actual text analysis is hard, especially if you have to take into
account that our users speak so many languages.

Astron.

[1] There might be the psychological effect that people feel heard, too.