[Libreoffice-qa] LDTP now works for Linux, Win & Mac

Terrence Enger tenger at iseries-guru.com
Tue Oct 16 05:55:06 PDT 2012

On Tue, 2012-10-16 at 09:04 +0200, Thorsten Behrens wrote:
> Terrence Enger wrote:
> > I have played with it a little bit, and it looks really neat.
> > Thoughts arising ...
> >
> Hi Terrence,
>
> thanks a lot for looking into this -
>
> > (3) That start-and-end, with nothing in between, takes about 28
> >     seconds.  My admittedly wimpy machine could do that about 3000
> >     times a day.  This does not bode well for heavy use of the tool.
> >
> That would be probably acceptable - since tasks could be distributed
> over many people?

Well, there was a message a couple days ago asking about wish lists
for funding.  One candidate idea would be enough capacity to run
through the presumably growing set of tests every few days, where "few
days" means a fraction of the interval between release candidates.

( Although I confess I would put a higher priority on a virtual
machine set up for testing Base.  Drew Jensen made some efforts toward
this end early this year, IIRC. )

> > (4) The "usually" in point (1) troubles me.  One execution can produce
> >     14 levels of stack trace leading from my program statement `ldtp
> >     import *` to message "socket.error: [Errno 111] Connection
> >     refused".  Subsequent executions do the expected start-and-end.
> >     My newbie instinct shouts "timing issue".  So, the next part of
> >     the learning curve will be steeper.

I read that there is a python mailing list, but it is very active.
Can I cope with another hundred messages a day?  Only if I am
desperate, I fear.

> That is a downer indeed - the last thing you want is unreliable
> tests. Curious how much of that is due to the usage of the
> accessibility API. Which platform / versions were you using again?

I am using ubuntu natty (11.04) 32-bit, which gives me ldtp-2.0.6.
So, quite old, and it lacks ldtprecord and ldtpeditor.

Ubuntu quantal (12.10) should be out in a couple of days.  Maybe I
will try the 64-bit version.  My previous attempt at using a 64-bit
version, several years ago, showed it to be notably slow; but since
then I have doubled my RAM to 1GB.  Hope springs eternal, and all
that.

Terry.