[Libreoffice-qa] Closing bugs in bugzilla: fixed in master or fixed everywhere?

Bjoern Michaelsen bjoern.michaelsen at canonical.com
Wed Sep 5 03:44:58 PDT 2012

On Wed, Sep 05, 2012 at 11:39:04AM +0200, Stephan Bergmann wrote:
> On 09/05/2012 10:46 AM, Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:
> >I thought we close the bug when the fix is committed in all branches
> >where it should be, and that's what I was doing in the bugs I was
> >fixing.
>
> That's my understanding too, setting a bug to RESOLVED/FIXED only
> once all the relevant commits have reached the intended branches.

That is quite tricky as "intended branches" is not clearly defined, and in
addition it runs counter to what mozilla defines the RESOLVED state:

 https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/page.cgi?id=fields.html

Note that there are two more bug states "after" RESOLVED in standard bugzilla:
VERIFIED and CLOSED. AFAIK the default workflow is:

RESOLVED: assumed to be fixed for some branch, not tested, not yet released
VERIFIED: verified to be fixed for some branch
CLOSED: there is a version with the fix released

In our case, as we dont really verify yet, I would suggest the following:

RESOLVED: assumed to be fixed for some branch, not tested, not yet released
CLOSED: there is a version with the fix released

Endusers should then look for CLOSED bugs (not RESOLVED unless they run
dailies), and we would automove bugs from RESOLVED->CLOSED with a release.

Best,

Bjoern

P.S.: IMHO launchpad does this a lot better with the explicit states "Fix
committed" and "Fix released".