[Libreoffice-qa] How Can I Provide More Info For Developers

Michael Meeks michael.meeks at suse.com
Fri Sep 7 10:24:56 PDT 2012

Hi John,

On Fri, 2012-09-07 at 19:10 +0200, John Smith wrote:
> Maybe im just dumb, but: Once you have provided a reliable and
> reproducible test case (in this case, download the odt file attached
> to the report and save it as docx in libreoffice), is there still a
> need to provide further info at all ?

	You can always make it easier for a developer to solve - and the easier
it is, the more likely it is to get solved quickly. Ways to do that are:

	* getting a stack-trace with full debugging symbols

	* running valgrind with full debugging symbols and
	  attaching a trace.

	For bonus points poking around at the code that's failing and thinking
hard about it - and (for some bugs) even a non-expert can see the
silliness by reading the relevant code in the backtrace, and looking at
the git history for that file ;-)

	So anything to get more people drawn into development and bug fixing is
good :-) we have no-where near enough hackers / proctologists to match
the bugs (yet).

	ATB,

		Michael.