[Libreoffice-qa] Closing FIXED bugs

Rainer Bielefeld LibreOffice at bielefeldundbuss.de
Wed Sep 26 00:21:22 PDT 2012

Olivier Hallot schrieb:

> I am suggesting to CLOSE less than 15 bugs.

Hi Olivier,

I suggest not to do that. The problem are not the few moments you invest
in closing. The problem is that this Status info will be worrying
because it's not in accordance with current habits; it might make
queries less reliable.

Currently it's more or less common sense to proceed as following:
Status of a bug will be changed to RESOLVED FIXED (by the developer)  if
the fix has been introduced into the most early Version where possible
and planned. With RESOLVED FIXED the work on that bug normally is
terminated.

RESOLVED FIXED may be changed to VERIFIED FIXED if someone did intensive
tests what proved that the bug is really fixed AND that no other
problems seem to be caused by the fix. Only a quick test "fix works" is
not sufficient.

Sometimes Bugs become resolution CLOSED as a kind of exclamation mark
with the implicit statement "Work on this bug is definitively
terminated, discussion finished", if there were insecurities,
objections, ... . For  example this might be appropriate if someone
found out that although there is a fix the problem still exists under
particular circumstances. The question was whether the fix is incomplete
(or does not work), or whether that is a new different bug only showing
similar symptoms. CLOSED indicates that the discussion has been
terminated with the result that work on this bug really has been
terminated with the fix.

I will write some more elaborated and precise notes at
<https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/QA-FAQ> and recommend to discuss
that on a ESC call (and may be on a QA call) if there are concerns or
objections.

Everybody should follow the current habits or a decision of ESC to keep
queries reliable.

I will keep you up to date here in this thread.

Best regards

Rainer