[Libreoffice-qa] [ANN] LibreOffice 3.6.6 RC2 available

Dan Lewis elderdanlewis at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 07:01:28 PDT 2013

On 04/10/2013 07:55 AM, Bjoern Michaelsen wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 09, 2013 at 09:36:20PM -0400, Dan Lewis wrote:
>>        Next question. Has there been a change in where LibreOffice is
>> located? I installed LibreOffice 3.6.6.2 using the commands you gave
>> me above. This installed it in /usr/lib/libreoffice rather than
>> /opt/libreoffice3.6.  As a result I have 3.5.6.2 installed as well
>> as 3.6.6.2.
> /usr/lib/libreoffice is the properly packaged build from Ubuntu/Debian
> packaging. /opt/libreoffice is the TDF builds which are backwards compatible
> with ancient distros. Dont use them, if you can get properly packaged builds
> IMHO.
>
> Best,
>
> Bjoern
       Sorry, I meant 3.6.5.2 *not* 3.5.6.2.
       But I am still a bit confused about what is available at the PPA.
I thought I was getting the build from TDF rather than from
Ubuntu/Debian. Yet, when I opened Synaptic and looked at what I had
installed, it indicated that I had gotten the  build from Ubuntu/Debian,
namely 1:3.6.6~RC2-0ubuntu~precise~ppa2. That download was approximately
97 MB. The TDF built download (3.6.6.2) is 179 MB.
So, what are the difference between these two builds? Since I am
involved in TDF documentation, I probably need to continue to download
the builds from the TDF website.
      Thanks for sending me a copy of what you posted to QA. It was very
thoughtful of you. I am subscribed to the QA mailing list so this will
not be necessary. (I also am subscribed to the DEV, documentation, and
user mailing lists (I'm not sure how important this is to others.

--Dan