[Libreoffice-qa] Lifecycle of builds?

Petr Mladek pmladek at suse.cz
Fri Apr 12 01:00:09 PDT 2013

Robinson Tryon píše v Čt 11. 04. 2013 v 12:26 -0400:
> On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 4:08 AM, Petr Mladek <pmladek at suse.cz> wrote:
> > Robinson Tryon píše v St 10. 04. 2013 v 11:29 -0400:
> > I think that only the single EOL date make sense. We do not provide
> > bugfix releases for bugfix releases. We provide bugfix releases for the
> > minor version X.Y.
>
> +1
>
> >>  Perhaps we could add some language on the ReleasePlan page to
> >> help telegraph the impending end of the series?
> > I have updated the table title at
> > https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleasePlan to mention
> > "basic dates for the initial and bugfix releases". I wonder if this
> > might be enough.
>
> I think that helps a bit. I believe I understand the situation a bit
> better now that we've had the conversation, but I'm still slightly
> confused about the versioning, and that makes me wonder if users would
> also find themselves confused :-)
>
> Taking the 3.6 branch as an example, the first release came out by Aug
> 12th., after which point there were no new major/minor builds until
> 4.0 was released just after 3.6.5 in February. That means that for 6
> months, the 3.6 branch was our most up-to-date release. That also
> means (if I understand correctly) that we didn't ship any new features
> for 6 months. Is that correct?

Yes, it is correct. I have just tried to slightly improve
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleasePlan#Summary and
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleasePlan#Schedule

You might want to read the rules for committing into the different
branches, see https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Branches

In theory, it is possible to get feature even into the bugfix release.
In practice, it happens only for .1 or .2 bugfix release and only very
rarely. And it is never anything big. These are usually some changes
where it is hard to decide if it is a feature or a bug fix.

Also you might want to look at
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/log/
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/log/?h=libreoffice-4-0
It shows that master branch got more commits within last 24 hours than
the stable 4-0 branch within 2 weeks. It shows that we are pretty
conservative about the stable and feature complete branches.

Best Regards,
Petr