[Libreoffice-qa] Enhancements - Getting User Input

Petr Mladek pmladek at suse.cz
Tue Apr 16 01:35:52 PDT 2013

Joel Madero píše v Po 15. 04. 2013 v 11:20 -0700:

>         Also we don't need a new system for the voting, we already
>         have the bugzilla.
>

> Currently we don't use bugzilla voting, also it is a big problem if
> the #1 enhancement request is some crazy request that takes 1000 hours
> to implement. The idea is that we limit the poll to enhancements we
> KNOW can be implemented in time and assign a well known developer to
> it who won't just shelve it and let it sit there indefinitely.

I am afraid that this could not work easily. If we do the work and
select 10-15 nice features and find potential volunteers, we probably do
not need voting. There will be most likely different volunteers for the
different features. If they wanted to work on them, they would work on
them independently on the voting results.

The voting is always dangerous because it reflects only opinion of the
voters. We have millions users and I am afraid that only few hundreds
would vote. The voting would crate a commitment for TDF but I am not
sure about the profit.

Finally, it is hard to promis anything without a contract. We could not
create contract with volunteers. I agree here with Bjorn that this might
end in tears on all sides.

Best Regards,
Petr

PS: I feel a bit bad that we are so negative about this idea. It is
great that you come up with ideas how to improve things. Well, in this
case, I would be more careful. We were not sure whether to enable voting
for bugs. We decided to hide it a bit under "affects me" flag. Let's see
how this works before playing with voting on more fronts :-)