[Libreoffice-qa] Bugzilla Migration Plan

Robinson Tryon bishop.robinson at gmail.com
Tue Aug 13 10:09:22 PDT 2013

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 12:17 PM, bfoman <bfo.bugmail at spamgourmet.com> wrote:

> -Implementation of "take" for QA contact, which should not be too
> difficult...
>
> This is already available in Bugzilla 4.4.

FDO runs 4.2.3, but we can run whatever version of Bugzilla we like :-)

> - More then one version field (we might discuss that) One for earliest
> tested version, where the bug exists and one for the latest tested version.
> IMHO we could do some nice (and thus helpful queries)
>
> Only one version field is possible by default. This could be enabled by
> other means - flags or custom fields.

yes, we'd probably put in a custom field.

(Of course, all of these changes would come after the migration is
complete and running well,  and after we've checked all of the code
into version control so that we stay sane :-)

>> - Have our bugzilla code stored in git
> -Bugzilla updates via cvs...
>
> CVS is rather rusty...

I think that primary Bugzilla sources live in Bazaar, with CVS access
available for legacy purposes. Because we already have a bunch of our
infrastructure stuff in git (e.g. the BSA), and most people are
familiar with that VCS, my proposed plan is that we store our patched
of Bugzilla in git. To upgrade to a newer version of Bugzilla, we can
just extract a tarball, toss it in an 'upstream' branch, and work from
there.

> Well, there are https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/QA-ImprovingBugzilla and
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/How_to_Improve_Bugzilla articles
> already. I think they should be updated before migration. Some test
> installation could be installed to allow pick up the best settings,
> extensions, customizations. And when all is prepared - do it.

Test install of Bugzilla 4.2.3 (to match what's running on FDO) is here:
http://testing.eagleeyet.net/bugs/

This includes a couple of patches we were testing out:
- Tweaked version field label
- A very special enhancement request from Joel :-)

Cheers,
--R