[Libreoffice-qa] QA Meeting Minutes - 2013-08-23

Robinson Tryon bishop.robinson at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 11:16:04 PDT 2013

On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 12:27 PM, Florian Reisinger
<florei at libreoffice.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Why not simply use a parallel Installation?
>
> [bibisect repo with release versions for Windows]

I think that there are a number of really good advantages to using a
bibisect repo over multiple installs, including:

- Each version is pre-configured to run right out of the box

- The repository can be updated with a few simple commands (no need to
manually install new versions)

- The bisecting process is scripted, and thus is probably faster and
less error-prone

- Git has built-in de-duplication, saving disk space (not sure how
much this applies to Windows builds)

- The bibisect process spits-out a pre-formatted chunk of text that
can be copied right into the bug report

Any bibisect testers will have to get git/bash setup on Windows, but I
think that process is actually pretty straightforward these days. From
my standpoint, the benefits of going with a git-based system
(including increased consistency between Windows and Linux) are pretty
big.

Cheers,
--R